WHAT YA GOT SWAP Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'd share some recipes to help folks save $. I use these myself and they work good!

How to make bleach:
Directions are at http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/faq/emerg.html or as follows:

GRANULAR CALCIUM HYPOCHLORITE.

Add and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test (70 or better) granular calcium hypochlorite (approximately 1/4 ounce) for each two gallons of water. I use 3/4th tsp. per gallon of water. You can buy a bag of 68% at Ace Hardware for about $5.50 inc. tax.

The mixture will produce a "stock chlorine" solution of approximately 500 mg/L, since the calcium hypochlorite has an available cchlorine equal to 70 percent of its weight. (THESE STOCK CHLORINE GALLONS ARE LIKE BLEACH GALLONS). One bag will make approx. 128 gallons of bleach!
How to make liquid laundry soap:
1 - bar of Fels_Naptha Soap, 1 cup of Borax Mule team, 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
Grate bar soap, place in pot, add 1 gallon of water. Cook until soap dissolves. Add Borax and Washing Soda. Bring to boil. Turn off heat and add 1 gallon of cold water. Stir well, pour into container w/lid. Stir before each use. Use 1/2 cup per load. (I bought a baster at Walmart that has oz./ml on it that I use to put my liquid soap into the washer. Two full basters = approx. 1/2 cup. This keeps drips at a min. and I can squeeze up clear water from the machine to rinse it out.) I also plan to use in my next batch half a bar of Napatha and a cup more of Borax. Meaning you can tweak the recipe. Also please note there wont be any suds. Regular soap has an ingredient that isn't needed and all it does is make suds! = 128 loads.
How to make liquid fabric softner:
6 cups of HOT water, 3 cups of White Vinegar, 2 cups Hair conditioner. (Any brand or fragrance).
Mix hot water and conditioner until dissolved. Add vinegar, mix well. Store in a container w/lid. Stir well before before each use. Use 2 tablespoons per load. = 176 loads.
I bought enough ingredients to make two batches of soap & softner for less than $15 inc. tax! This = 256 loads of soap & 176 loads of softner & I had a little extra ingredients left over!
You can buy Rainbow Vaccum Fragrance to add a few drops to make the conditioner smell a little stronger. These fragrances can also be used in potpouri, mixed with water to use as a spritz for fabric in the home... or air freshner, ect... You can buy these on Ebay for different prices depending on how many bottles you buy.

" Regular soap has an ingredient that isn't needed and all it does is make suds!"
Really,,You mean there are people who formulate products sell them back to us and there is ingredients or chemicals that we don't need. Really?
Wow My wife has been doing the soap for yrs.
As for the bleach I it is a non factor @ our place...It damages the ground water , It not good for you enviroment..
Everybodys got their own way of living in the world,,,,Peace

What was the reason for the new rule?
The new reason was Peeps were getting feather all rilled up ..because some peeps had swaps from yrs or months past ..waiting for their swaps,,Then some of those peeps that were waiting for their swaps notice peeps that owed them a swap was taking their swapping items selling them on BYC in other thread and other sites..If you look @ some peeps swaps they are a mile long and some I seen some that went way back to 2010&11 that were still waiting for their swaps,,Some peeps fell off the BYC board...Some have been so long ..They forgot who they owe how much or when. It was starting to get ugly That help?

I thought I'd share some recipes to help folks save $. I use these myself and they work good!

How to make bleach:
Directions are at http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/faq/emerg.html or as follows:

GRANULAR CALCIUM HYPOCHLORITE.

Add and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test (70 or better) granular calcium hypochlorite (approximately 1/4 ounce) for each two gallons of water. I use 3/4th tsp. per gallon of water. You can buy a bag of 68% at Ace Hardware for about $5.50 inc. tax.

The mixture will produce a "stock chlorine" solution of approximately 500 mg/L, since the calcium hypochlorite has an available cchlorine equal to 70 percent of its weight. (THESE STOCK CHLORINE GALLONS ARE LIKE BLEACH GALLONS). One bag will make approx. 128 gallons of bleach!
How to make liquid laundry soap:
1 - bar of Fels_Naptha Soap, 1 cup of Borax Mule team, 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
Grate bar soap, place in pot, add 1 gallon of water. Cook until soap dissolves. Add Borax and Washing Soda. Bring to boil. Turn off heat and add 1 gallon of cold water. Stir well, pour into container w/lid. Stir before each use. Use 1/2 cup per load. (I bought a baster at Walmart that has oz./ml on it that I use to put my liquid soap into the washer. Two full basters = approx. 1/2 cup. This keeps drips at a min. and I can squeeze up clear water from the machine to rinse it out.) I also plan to use in my next batch half a bar of Napatha and a cup more of Borax. Meaning you can tweak the recipe. Also please note there wont be any suds. Regular soap has an ingredient that isn't needed and all it does is make suds! = 128 loads.
How to make liquid fabric softner:
6 cups of HOT water, 3 cups of White Vinegar, 2 cups Hair conditioner. (Any brand or fragrance).
Mix hot water and conditioner until dissolved. Add vinegar, mix well. Store in a container w/lid. Stir well before before each use. Use 2 tablespoons per load. = 176 loads.
I bought enough ingredients to make two batches of soap & softner for less than $15 inc. tax! This = 256 loads of soap & 176 loads of softner & I had a little extra ingredients left over!
You can buy Rainbow Vaccum Fragrance to add a few drops to make the conditioner smell a little stronger. These fragrances can also be used in potpouri, mixed with water to use as a spritz for fabric in the home... or air freshner, ect... You can buy these on Ebay for different prices depending on how many bottles you buy.
Wow!!! Thanks so much now to find containers.

Ok, I got the last of my packages sent out today to everyone that I owed on here. Sorry for the delay everyone. Things have been hectic here.

Update on my MIL: After the series of Radiation treatments the cancer continues to grow in her brain, lymphnoids and Lungs. They tell the treatment hasn't worked and to keep doing treatment to prolong her life which it will make the cancer move slower but will not stop it as of now. They are giving her 2 yrs to live if that. If the medicine keeps slowing it down. She is always tired and doesn't sound very good. I have downsized a lot in my animals here so we can visit down there for a while and make a few visits. It doesn't sound/look good at all.

I haven't been swapping and probably won't for awhile due to everything going on. Once I get the rest of my swap completed from other chains I won't be once very much at all till all of this settles down around here. I am worried about my FIL who has lost a wife already to cancer and now is going to loose this one. I am not sure how he is going to take it all.

Anyways I hope everyone is well and I will pop in once in a awhile.

Take Care Everyone.
hugs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom