WHAT YA GOT SWAP Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the quail eggs glow clear don't throw them away they are a challenge to candle.
See I didn't know that.. Most I can see into are clear, but there are two or three that have the blue tint to them when I candle so idk about them. Gonna keep them in the bator through their lockdown phase, but I am worried about putting my other fertile chicken eggs into lockdown with the quail eggs.

See I didn't know that.. Most I can see into are clear, but there are two or three that have the blue tint to them when I candle so idk about them. Gonna keep them in the bator through their lockdown phase, but I am worried about putting my other fertile chicken eggs into lockdown with the quail eggs.

Just lockdown if you get any pips then mebby?

I, personally, never lockdown quail with chickens because chickens, even newly hatched chicks, can be healthy carriers of illness (for example: corza, but that isn't the only one). It could infect your quail chicks and you could loose them. Many people do this without ill effect, but since you have many sources of eggs going all at once your chances for trouble are a bit higher than if all the eggs came from only one source. I would strongly recommend against locking down chickens and any game bird (turkey, chuckar, quail, pheasant, guineas, etc.) If you are going to be keeping game birds and chickens both, it would probably be wise to buy a second incubator. Just my two cents.

Well then you gave them every chance and didn't harm you other eggs.
good point
I, personally, never lockdown quail with chickens because chickens, even newly hatched chicks, can be healthy carriers of illness (for example: corza, but that isn't the only one). It could infect your quail chicks and you could loose them. Many people do this without ill effect, but since you have many sources of eggs going all at once your chances for trouble are a bit higher than if all the eggs came from only one source. I would strongly recommend against locking down chickens and any game bird (turkey, chuckar, quail, pheasant, guineas, etc.) If you are going to be keeping game birds and chickens both, it would probably be wise to buy a second incubator. Just my two cents.
I do have two incubators :) Quail are currently in a separate incubator.

I am just making noise and being somewhat hypothetical
tongue2.gif

Okay, I candled last night under the guise of needing to draw air sacs for embryo development observation and to mark saddle air sacs with the plan of assisted hatching for them if need be. I found I have a live embryo in an egg with an air sac on the side of the egg!

Any who, I have news. NONE of my quail eggs are live. Still keeping them in the bator - just to be sure. It is so my fault - think the temp was @ 97-98 degrees most of their cycle. I have 2 sizzles and a splash going strong. Still can't see into the OEs and all but 2 maybe 3 of the Ams are good. I am down to 4 Dels. I have also spotted veining in 5 of the EEs and both of the B.O.s.

Results:
37 quail - 0 live embryos
3 sizzles - 2 embryos
3 splash - 1 embryo
4 OEs - ????
1 White silkie egg - 0
12 Ams - 9-12 embryos
15 dels - 4 embryos
7 EEs - ( still have 15 days to go) 5 embryos
2 B.Os - (also 15 days to go) 2 embryos

Total:

Started with 84 eggs total - Eggs with embryos 19 - 26

Sizzles, splash silkies, OEs, and AMs go into lockdown on 6/3 and Dels go in on 6/6
EEs and B.Os go in on 6/12

Yay!!! My 1st time shipping eggs!!!! So excited & happy for u!!

FarmGirlForLife sent me 9 buff orpington eggs in a swap. Today I placed them into lockdown. Of the 9; 7 are developing and in most I could see the little chick moving, 1 was accidentally broken by my 15 year old helper that dropped another egg on it and the other not developing was "soupy" after the travels here.

In my opinion, if you remove the one damaged during shipping and the 1 broken... I have 100% of these eggs good to go as they head into lockdown.. How awesome is that?

Okay, I candled last night under the guise of needing to draw air sacs for embryo development observation and to mark saddle air sacs with the plan of assisted hatching for them if need be. I found I have a live embryo in an egg with an air sac on the side of the egg!

Any who, I have news. NONE of my quail eggs are live. Still keeping them in the bator - just to be sure. It is so my fault - think the temp was @ 97-98 degrees most of their cycle. I have 2 sizzles and a splash going strong. Still can't see into the OEs and all but 2 maybe 3 of the Ams are good. I am down to 4 Dels. I have also spotted veining in 5 of the EEs and both of the B.O.s.

Results:
37 quail - 0 live embryos
3 sizzles - 2 embryos
3 splash - 1 embryo
4 OEs - ????
1 White silkie egg - 0
12 Ams - 9-12 embryos
15 dels - 4 embryos
7 EEs - ( still have 15 days to go) 5 embryos
2 B.Os - (also 15 days to go) 2 embryos

Total:

Started with 84 eggs total - Eggs with embryos 19 - 26

Sizzles, splash silkies, OEs, and AMs go into lockdown on 6/3 and Dels go in on 6/6
EEs and B.Os go in on 6/12

Okay. Lockdown Updates:

Going in Tuesday:

3 of 4 OEs
11 of 12 Ams (think one is gone though - just not sure enough to count it out yet)
3 of 6 silkies

Going in Friday:
3 of 15 Delewares (One looks dead through the shell but has tiny veins in it. Anyone know why?)

Other Updates:
opened 4 EEs two were scrambled and two were fertile (one died early on, the other never started)
0 out of 37 quail eggs
hit.gif
..... I was really looking forward to having a few. Maybe next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom