WHAT YA GOT SWAP Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone care to swap for sourdough starter and dough conditioner? I have sourdough starter that came from the Acme bakery in Berkeley CA, and have had great success with it. I also have 1 pound cans of dough conditioner. I just bought the dough conditioner after reading about it online. It helps bread rise better and more evenly. A swap could be some starter with a can of the dough conditioner.

By the way, I just had a fantastic hatch of Chiqita's Silkies eggs I got several weeks ago. She sent seven eggs, and five hatched. Two are showgirls. Will post pictures later when they have fluffed out. Four of the eggs were muddy and they all hatched. This was the first time I incubated muddy eggs - mud doesn't seem to be a problem. I am tickled pink.

I have claimed eggs before. None were broken, but only 1 hatched and I always take pictures of the air sacs (if egg color will allow) just a couple. File online, don't bother with the people at the country who don't know anything. You can also file if you are the seller or the buyer. You need a receipt and pictures of the 'damage' which can be floating air sacs or crackage.

I'm still advocating that we should collectively so using the word fragile. It seems to mean nothing. I just got a box that looked a bit squished, but not a lot and 2 eggs were shattered inside. It had fragile written on every available space. I believe that the words 'live embryos' bring more attention because they don't see them everyday and 'live' should mean something to a person.

Don't let them tell you otherwise from above. I've had people tell me that only the shipper could file and she kept being told only the recover could file, so no one did and I lost out on $50 worth of eggs. I filed myself online the next time and got a check in the mail.
I have filed online once last year as the shipper on eggs that were broken and had air cell damage. I had the buyer send me pictures of the outer box and the inner box, all packing material, the broken eggs, and the unbroken egg. In my claim I told them how hatching eggs develop and with rough handling that the air cell can be damaged. I explained how I pack the eggs and that I had them clearly marked with hatching eggs and fragile. I also let them know that I had already sent more eggs to my buyer. Within two weeks I got a check for a full refund.

Would anyone care to swap for sourdough starter and dough conditioner? I have sourdough starter that came from the Acme bakery in Berkeley CA, and have had great success with it. I also have 1 pound cans of dough conditioner. I just bought the dough conditioner after reading about it online. It helps bread rise better and more evenly. A swap could be some starter with a can of the dough conditioner.
I would be interested in some of this. I love sourdough bread. It is my preferred bread and homemade is the best of all. My starter went bad this winter so I am in need of some.

I have filed online once last year as the shipper on eggs that were broken and had air cell damage. I had the buyer send me pictures of the outer box and the inner box, all packing material, the broken eggs, and the unbroken egg. In my claim I told them how hatching eggs develop and with rough handling that the air cell can be damaged. I explained how I pack the eggs and that I had them clearly marked with hatching eggs and fragile. I also let them know that I had already sent more eggs to my buyer. Within two weeks I got a check for a full refund.

What about delayed delivery? Can shippers claim late delivery reduces egg viability and get refunds? How many days for 2-day priority is considered late?

Five chicks out of seven eggs from Chiqita. Six developed and five hatched. Three showgirls. Four of the eggs were muddy and they all hatched. This is the first time I incubated muddy eggs, pretty good experience I'd say. Thank you Chiqita. My husband says the showgirls are not cute. I think they are adorable. Not sure what they will look like when they grow up.

What about delayed delivery? Can shippers claim late delivery reduces egg viability and get refunds? How many days for 2-day priority is considered late?
I am not sure since they really don't guarantee delivery within a certain period of time. The whole 2-3 days does not mean anything which drives me crazy. How they can get away with showing 2-3 days everywhere you look and still not guarantee it is beyond me. Seems like false advertising to me.

Very cute chicks.
love.gif

Last edited:
They gurentee 5 days. If its over 5 days it can be contested . Ive had claims accepted and rejected. Pictures help. Having a postal account online to file from helps. Broken eggs helps the most lol.
Five chicks out of seven eggs from Chiqita. Six developed and five hatched. Three showgirls. Four of the eggs were muddy and they all hatched. This is the first time I incubated muddy eggs, pretty good experience I'd say. Thank you Chiqita. My husband says the showgirls are not cute. I think they are adorable. Not sure what they will look like when they grow up.
yay! You had me worried about the eggs. I am in the shipped washed eggs don't hatch camp so i will dry scrub but not wash eggs. im beginning to think about sending an optional wash oxine and instructions pouch for washing if people want. Who would have thought mud would be an issue in a drought stricken state!

They gurentee 5 days. If its over 5 days it can be contested . Ive had claims accepted and rejected. Pictures help. Having a postal account online to file from helps. Broken eggs helps the most lol.
yay! You had me worried about the eggs. I am in the shipped washed eggs don't hatch camp so i will dry scrub but not wash eggs. im beginning to think about sending an optional wash oxine and instructions pouch for washing if people want. Who would have thought mud would be an issue in a drought stricken state!
Well, this last batch of eggs I got took five days (from another swap group). The box got smashed in on one side but all the eggs were intact. Couldn't see air cells in any of the eggs. It was sent from the East coast so who knows where it's been sitting during the delay. The sender was wonderful, saying she may resend even though I didn't ask her to do so. It's not her fault. She asked me to let her know after a week if any of them developed.

As for washing the eggs prior to sending, I've received eggs that were washed before they were sent to me. I am not sure how they were washed, but that batch of eggs oozed (liquid was seeping out of the shell) half way through the incubation and stank. So you are right, washing eggs prior to sending is not good. Soiled eggs (to some degree) is definitely preferred over washed eggs. As for washing with Oxine, I have no experience with it. Maybe it would be good to wash the eggs with Oxine if they are extremely soiled (more than 50% of the egg surface)? I'd be afraid to damage the eggs while washing them, with or without Oxine. I suppose if there is a concern that the eggs are soiled with poop (instead of dirt), Oxine should be used? There's a discussion on another thread where the seller says her eggs are soiled with dirt while the buyer insists it is poop. Who's right? It's quite interesting.

Well, I am glad I am not one of those who refuse to incubate soiled eggs. I would have missed out on four healthy chicks on this last batch of seven eggs. Interestingly enough, the two that didn't hatch/develop, they were clean.

Well, this last batch of eggs I got took five days (from another swap group). The box got smashed in on one side but all the eggs were intact. Couldn't see air cells in any of the eggs. It was sent from the East coast so who knows where it's been sitting during the delay. The sender was wonderful, saying she may resend even though I didn't ask her to do so. It's not her fault. She asked me to let her know after a week if any of them developed.

As for washing the eggs prior to sending, I've received eggs that were washed before they were sent to me. I am not sure how they were washed, but that batch of eggs oozed (liquid was seeping out of the shell) half way through the incubation and stank. So you are right, washing eggs prior to sending is not good. Soiled eggs (to some degree) is definitely preferred over washed eggs. As for washing with Oxine, I have no experience with it. Maybe it would be good to wash the eggs with Oxine if they are extremely soiled (more than 50% of the egg surface)? I'd be afraid to damage the eggs while washing them, with or without Oxine. I suppose if there is a concern that the eggs are soiled with poop (instead of dirt), Oxine should be used? There's a discussion on another thread where the seller says her eggs are soiled with dirt while the buyer insists it is poop. Who's right? It's quite interesting.

Well, I am glad I am not one of those who refuse to incubate soiled eggs. I would have missed out on four healthy chicks on this last batch of seven eggs. Interestingly enough, the two that didn't hatch/develop, they were clean.
I just got a batch of shipped eggs that the seller dips in oxine and she swears by it. I just got them in the mail today so I will put in the incubator tomorrow. I will report on how they do. BTY they were shipped from Texas last Wednesday. They sat in Houston from Wednesday to Saturday according to the tracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom