WHAT YA GOT SWAP Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Kassandra did you take any pictures at the Crossroads??
droolin.gif

~Aspen

Quote:
My dog killed one of these and we found him with it in his mouth (the whole bird) It was black with a white beak and had those wierd feet. The only thing I could find close to it was the am coot. I guess maybe that's what it was?
hu.gif

Quote:
My dog killed one of these and we found him with it in his mouth (the whole bird) It was black with a white beak and had those wierd feet. The only thing I could find close to it was the am coot. I guess maybe that's what it was?
hu.gif

Coots used to be something you saw in great numbers on the many lakes and ponds of Minnesota; there is a sportsman's club dedicated to them (Coots Unlimited). However, their numbers have declined significantly in the last 15 years - now you take notice when you see some. If you think their feet are funny, you should see them swim
big_smile.png

From what I read the Coot is a water bird. No idea why it would be near our house. We do have a pond, but it is quite a distance from the house. It is possible the cat was down there hunting, but unlikely they would have drug the bird back up to the house. From the size of the feet it was a good sized bird and my cats are not full grown, just teenage sized cats. One internet sight says it is possible coots migrate only at night...could it have accidentally landed in my yard
idunno.gif
perhaps it was sick. They are definitely not common in my area of Missouri, but they are a legal gamebird to hunt.

Oh, and I have saved the foot to show hubby and son when they get home LOL it's just too weird to get rid of
lol.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom