whats a good rooster?

Stoney22

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
new hampshire
Where I live im not allowed to have a roo due to the noise factor but...im wondering if there are any breeds for ornamental bantam or large that are quiet and would also protect my hens. By quiet I mean an occasion crow or too but crowing during the day and real early am isn't going to work, I can get away with a few crows but crowing every thirty seconds to a minute like my roo now does which we are having to get rid of will not work but I do want a roo for atleast fertile eggs and if I can to protect my hens.

I was about to post the same question.
thumbsup.gif

Id like to know also too plz
wink.png

I've had some boys who crowed every hour, even at night, and some that only crow in the morning and when someone comes into the yard. There have been some muffled, strangled, and trully annoying crows in several birds. some of my roos were rehomed or went into the pot eventually. I have had buff orps, welsumers, cornish, silkie, easter egger roos just to name a few. Each bird was different but none was ever quiet. Good luck finding your roo.

Never had a rooster that didn't start early and crow intermittently throughout the day. My Brahmas tend to crow slightly less often, but when they do, it's like a demented foghorn!

From what I've seen there are some rules that roosters follow when it comes to crowing.

Is it getting light out? -> Crow
Is it getting dark out? -> Crow
Do you see a light? -> Crow
Did you see something move -> Crow
Did something stop moving -> Crow
Did you hear a noise? -> Crow
<repeat ad nauseum>

My roosters crow all day and some of the night.

My roo first only crowed 6-8 times when I let him out of the coop.Then he started to crow every time he heard dogs barking.Now he crows INSIDE the coop,or when I get near the flock with food/water. He crows and crows. I don't think a roo breed will matter.Just depends on the roo himself.Those bantam roos are soooo cute. Maybe their crow isn't very loud,but they might make up for it by crowing alot,lol.

A dead one? Sorry. I am so lucky here! We can have our chickens, and the biggest problem is going to be do I keep all my silkie roos or not! One of my silkies just started to crow, and It was an AWE moment, it wasn't that loud, but... I guess he's gotta build up to it still. But he's only a 2 pound bird! Not sure how protective thats gonna be.

As far as I know, there is no breed of rooster that is quieter than any other all the time. I've had roosters of various mixed heritage and a few pure breed ones, and they all crowed, though some only really crowed in the early morning. It really just depends on the rooster. You could always get one and try it, and if he doesn't work, try a different rooster. I doubt you'll find one that does no crowing at all, but some will crow less often than others.

Back
Top Bottom