Whats a normal hatching rate?

UBkevy

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Buffalo
I am thinking of trying to get 4-6 silkie hens and having them in a nursery coup. Then have them hatch fertile eggs that I will buy. I just need to know the hatch rate of eggs that are raised by a chicken. My goal is to hatch 20 hens a year so that means approx 40 chicks and will need to know how many eggs I would need. Then i would know if my 4-6 silkies would be able to do the job

Shipped hatching eggs usually have a low hatch rate. I would say 25% average and if you get a higher hatch rate sometimes, consider it a bonus.

Lanae

I have had 0 hatch out of 24 and 29 out of 30 hatch another time. There is no way to know what percentage will hatch. Now the first time I was using one of those metal Sears incubators tha was junk. Second time I was using a Roll-x. I have had 100% hatches with my eggs more times than not with it.

What is normal rates for your own eggs?
At what age does fertility peak?
Does method of incubation have much to do with it? UBkevy and I are both talking about using broodies, but Ted and Jan discuss results with two vastly different incubators they tried.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom