Whats getting my ducks !!

Lissacb126

Chirping
Jun 24, 2019
Allenton, Michigan
Sorry for the gorie description im about to leave. I had 3 drakes and 5 hens Saturday when I locked them up. Sunday morning I found 1 girl dead in the pen. It looked like the back of her neck was skinned. That was all with that one. I did some research and I now know my drake to hen ratio is off. ( I've had ducks now for going on 3 years and never had a problem with aggressive drakes). So I separated the drakes and hens in the same pen. I go to let then out today and another girl was dead and she was on the side with drakes. All of them were on the side with the drakes. But this one was laying on her back and her stomach was ripped open and everything was just out. But it doesn't look like she was eaten. Theres no blood on any of the other ducks. Im going to put them up somewhere else tonight, so my question is, is something getting in there and doing this (but the other ducks are attacking whatever it is so it don't get a chance to eat it) or do I have a drake doing this?

It would be helpful if you had your location under your avatar picture.

Simple to do and really helps people help you. Just go to the top right where your "BYC name" is and click. A drop-down menu will take you to “Account Details”. If you put your location there it will always be under your picture.

So once we know where you are maybe we can make an educated guess about what got your ducks. I would say it's probably not the drake. I don't see how a drake could disembowel a duck.

Sorry for the gorie description im about to leave. I had 3 drakes and 5 hens Saturday when I locked them up. Sunday morning I found 1 girl dead in the pen. It looked like the back of her neck was skinned. That was all with that one. I did some research and I now know my drake to hen ratio is off. ( I've had ducks now for going on 3 years and never had a problem with aggressive drakes). So I separated the drakes and hens in the same pen. I go to let then out today and another girl was dead and she was on the side with drakes. All of them were on the side with the drakes. But this one was laying on her back and her stomach was ripped open and everything was just out. But it doesn't look like she was eaten. Theres no blood on any of the other ducks. Im going to put them up somewhere else tonight, so my question is, is something getting in there and doing this (but the other ducks are attacking whatever it is so it don't get a chance to eat it) or do I have a drake doing this?
Do you have any pictures? What kind of fencing do you have?

i don’t think a drake would rip open her stomach

It would be helpful if you had your location under your avatar picture.

Simple to do and really helps people help you. Just go to the top right where your "BYC name" is and click. A drop-down menu will take you to “Account Details”. If you put your location there it will always be under your picture.

So once we know where you are maybe we can make an educated guess about what got your ducks. I would say it's probably not the drake. I don't see how a drake could disembowel a duck.

Thank you i will do that. I live in Allenton Michigan.

Do you have any pictures? What kind of fencing do you have?

I didn't take pictures, figured no one wanted a true visual. I could if it would help. I have both chicken wire and the thick green fencing. I just went out and inspected the area more and noticed at the top that the fencing is no longer connected to the wood. But how is it that no other duck is getting attacked by whatever it is ?

Back
Top Bottom