What's going on here?

SnakeWrangler95

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
Hi,
I raise nankins and right after the floods from huricane Harvey, I noticed these nodules developing on the beaks and combs of my chicks and the 3 month old cockerels. They are actually disfiguring the combs. My older nankins are in the same coop and unaffected. Any idea what's going on here?

Attachments

• 20170908_163050.jpg
    20170908_163050.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170908_163322.jpg
    20170908_163322.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 12
Thanks guys! I thought that's what it was, but i wanted to make sure. We have an insane amount of mosquitoes thanks to Harvey. There are still areas with standing water breeding them.

Pox is a virus that most grown chickens tolerate okay, but chicks can become very weak. Make sure that all are drinking well, and eating. If you see scabs near any eyes, apply Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel from a feed store into eyes twice a day to help prevent bacterial infection and possible blindness. For any looking very sick, look inside beaks and throats for yellow spots or scabs that could be wet pox. It may spread through the flock for a few weeks, but it usually lasts about 3 weeks. Do not disturb or remove the scabs.

Last edited:
@Eggcessive Thanks for the info. They all seem to feel fine. They are eating and drinking, perhaps even more so than usual. I have the ointment and have applied to one already. Thanks again for the help!
Love this forum!

Most chickens do not get wet fowl pox, but yes, it is a much more serious illness than the dry form. Most chickens tolerate dry pox, but those who don't eat and drink, or who develop secondary infections may die. In my area, I have only seen a single scab of pox in a couple of my chickens several years ago. In some tropical areas, such as Florida and Louisiana or Texas, pox can affect large areas, and cause more pain which affects how they get along. It can help to separate sick birds from non-affected ones, and there is a vaccine that can help birds who have not been exposed.

Back
Top Bottom