What's happening here?

Couchie

Songster
Mar 10, 2019
Albany, Western Australia
cropped.jpg

I have an (what I think is) Orpington Pekin Bantam cross that I have raised since the egg. Her bottom has looked like this for a while, and I am wondering if it is a concern.

Does anyone have an opinion?

She lays well and seems happy enough. However, sometimes her poo gets stuck around her bottom. This photo is after I cleaned her up a bit. Today I noticed her poo was running down her bottom rather than solid and clean upon the ground. I have checked for mites and she doesn't seem to have any. Her bedding area is cleaned weekly and she is free range on a good variety of grass and dirt.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Her belly looks enlarged, as they can with water belly or internal laying masses. It always hs been pecked clean of feathers, either by her or others. What are they eating? Does she lay eggs? If you can get a picture of what her droppings look like, it might help.

Thanks for your reply.

The bottom has been without feathers for a long time. How long I am not sure. She is the biggest and bossiest of the girls so it has not been pecked by others. She eats a variety of diet; usually oats in the morning and poultry seed mix in the evening. During the day a mix of vegetable and protein scraps (eg the occasional fish) plus she has plenty of area to roam and dig.

She is currently our only layer out of 8 chickens and she lays usually every second day. I think the others are off the lay because they have been moulting lately with winter approaching.

I will try to get a picture of either her dropping and/or her messy bottom.

Back
Top Bottom