Whats the best quail for me

The jumbo brown coturnix quail are excellent meat birds and egg layers....like others said, they mature in about 60 days , are easy to work with, dont consume alot of feed, and have a natural disease resistance as compared to.chickens....and they taste great!

Yes Shamo, I got two pairs. They work great but with my larger eggs, the yolk doesn't fit through the hole very easily. I have the Jumbo quail and my eggs are from about 12-22 grams with most being close to 14-16 grams. They do save a lot of time. Thanks

Simon

Yes Shamo, I got two pairs. They work great but with my larger eggs, the yolk doesn't fit through the hole very easily. I have the Jumbo quail and my eggs are from about 12-22 grams with most being close to 14-16 grams. They do save a lot of time. Thanks

Simon

I need to order a pair for myself. 22 grams, that's a good sized quail egg.

It was actually 22.4 grams. Here is a picture of it with a jumbo chicken egg and a normal sized jumbo quail egg.

Simon

It looks quite a bit bigger than the normal jumbo egg, was it a double yolker? It would have been worth trying to hatch if it wasn't.

The extra large egg in the picture was given to friends to eat so I am not sure if it was a double yolk or not but based on the shape of the egg, it is more wide and rounded, I believe it was a double yolk.

The JMF birds lay very large eggs. Two weeks ago, I cracked open a 19 gram egg and it was a single yolk but the yolk was very very large. I was so mad that I didn't incubate it. For my next hatches, I will be incubating all my extra large eggs as long as it's not the obvious wide and round double yolk eggs.

Simon

I've got 2 brinsea octagon 20s and a mini eco so I'll just incubate every large egg lol. I'll candle them after 5 days and if i don't see anything in to the bin they go.

Sounds like a plan. I'm too new to quail to be able to candle my eggs and tell wether or not I have double yolks or not. I believe there is a larger dark spot if it's a double yolk.

Simon

Same here, I've only hatched one batch so far and didn't candle them enough to know about the different stages, with a good enough light source i should hopefully be able to see the development.

Things should be easier if candling before lockdown, if light passes through the egg then you chuck it out.

Back
Top Bottom