Whats the deal with this chick?

bigtime400

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Beloit
I have 20 new chicks. One isn't walking for some reason. She seems to just scoot around on her butt. Kind of like she is trying to walk around on her hind nuckles. Any clue? She is less then a day old. All the others didnt have this problem. Just this one. My wife said she had her stumbling around on her feet a little bit but I didnt see it myself. Do the feet look normal? Its kinda like she is trying to hold her toes straight out. I did have to clean her vent because her butt was crusted from moving around on her butt.

I did get her to drink some water. I also seperated her from the others because the others were picking at her and she seemed to want to rest.

Anyone seen this? What should I do? Look at the pictures. I went ahead and took a picture of the other 19 just so you can look.
big_smile.png
DSC08993.jpg

DSC08994.jpg

How is the chick doing?

Sometimes once out of the shell it can take a day or two for chick's legs to "work" like they should.

When she tries to stand - do her feet stay under her or do they splay out to the sides? If so you want to make her a set of hobbles from a bandaid.

Maybe you can giver her some sugar water/electrolytes to give her a boost?

She was doing better this morning. Walking like normal. I did put electrolyte mix in the water for all the chicks. I figured it was good insurance and the stuff was pretty cheap.
I did have her in a seperate box for a while but it seemed as though she was lonely so I moved her in with the others. She responded well. Still a little thing but running around with the rest of them. I would feed her with drops of water off my finger and had to clean her buns a few times.

Back
Top Bottom