What's the ideal material to use for a roosting bar

Landscape Timbers. Beefy! Wide! Rounded Edges and you can span 8 ft. and load it with birds without any sag!
big_smile.png

I have used 2x2's for as long as I've had my coop with no trouble. Granted, I only have five birds so weight isn't a problem. Elsewhere in the coop, I took a 3-inch branch and cut it into sections, so there's multiple raised "branches" for them to hop on and run around (the baby loves this). Never thought of 2x4s...

I have 6 chicken now and thinking of adding 6 more we to the mix. I was planning on using an 8 ft landspscape timber of the roost...but not sure if 8 ft is enough for 12 chickens. How high should I put it?

I have 6 chicken now and thinking of adding 6 more we to the mix. I was planning on using an 8 ft landspscape timber of the roost...but not sure if 8 ft is enough for 12 chickens. How high should I put it?

There's no science to the height but make sure it is at least higher than the nesting box or else they chickens will tend to migrate there instead of the roost - they may also go to the nesting box anyways but you can train them not to by just blocking it off temporarily.

I've also read that you don't want to have the roosting perch too high as your chickens may hurt themselves getting off it (at least that's for folks that clip their wings).

I think they'd do fine with a 2 broom handles in parallel.

My chicks are much younger than yours, but they're happy to roost on bamboo so long as I put 2 or 3 next to each other - makes it wide enough so that their big feet don't have to all curl up and they don't have to concentrate on balancing.

Most people on this site use a 2x4 wide side up because of the added benefits.
But use what ever you want and I hope it works out for you.

If it does not you can always try a 2x4 wide side up.

I have to admit I like the landscaping timber idea!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom