What's the minimum timeframe to keep a drake separated from females?(Breeding)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Our whole flock has been free ranging recently but today I saw that both drakes tried to breed two different females. I've noticed that our older drake has only ever done this when our females are either laying or going to lay soon. I have 2 female WH ducks who I plan on breeding to our WH drake. All 3 are currently in their yard to keep everyone separated during breeding season.
I want to ensure that any offspring are pure WH because I have a few people asking about when they can start buying hatching eggs.

Any offspring I keep will be put in with Colonel to prevent inbreeding.

What's the minimum timeframe to keep a drake separated from females?

Our whole flock has been free ranging recently but today I saw that both drakes tried to breed two different females. I've noticed that our older drake has only ever done this when our females are either laying or going to lay soon. I have 2 female WH ducks who I plan on breeding to our WH drake. All 3 are currently in their yard to keep everyone separated during breeding season.
I want to ensure that any offspring are pure WH because I have a few people asking about when they can start buying hatching eggs.

Any offspring I keep will be put in with Colonel to prevent inbreeding.

What's the minimum timeframe to keep a drake separated from females?
4 weeks is best to be safe. They might be purebred at less than that, but if you're selling them as pure Welsh Harlequin eggs it's better to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom