What's the rarest breed or variety you have?

Pics
Mixing definitely is an important step.

But then you have to spend generations sorting out the mixes, to end up with the right combination of traits, and to get them breeding true (no recessive genes to pop up later.)

And if you want them to be accepted by the American Poultry Association, or similar organizations in other countries, you need to check their rules and follow their procedures. They will probably require a written standard, and they might require you to show the actual birds to demonstrate that they birds do exist and breed true, and there may be requirements for having a certain number of other people also raising that variety of that breed-- it varies from one organization to another, but tends to be things along those lines.
That’s interesting as I am creating a new color of D’Uccles.
Have you got your bird’s recognized by the American Poultry Association?

No, nobody can do it alone. It is a joint effort of many breeders breeding towards the same goals. No solo efforts here.

If you're asking me, no I have not developed any new breeds or varieties, and definitely not gotten any recognized by any organization.

I'm one of the many people who think the idea sounds interesting, then do a bit of research, then decide it's too much work to follow through :)

I’ve got a pair of Sebrights. The hen just laid her 1st egg a couple days ago. Going to see about getting an incubator.

Attachments

• 0D0A3A49-F8EE-4EC3-B176-AFAC08FC64A7.jpeg
    0D0A3A49-F8EE-4EC3-B176-AFAC08FC64A7.jpeg
    801.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2C4D96B2-E45C-40F1-A911-CAECBFB6B58E.jpeg
    2C4D96B2-E45C-40F1-A911-CAECBFB6B58E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom