What's the temperature where you are???

Well that's good :) was that the year that Arizona broke records for the highest temp?

I'm not sure, but probably. We had a few days over 120 degrees. And I lost almost my whole flock in the heat :(. I had to start all over with new chicks this year and install misters, a fan and put up even more shade. But I haven't lost a single hen this year and summer is almost over. So hopefully that never happens again.

I'm not sure, but probably. We had a few days over 120 degrees. And I lost almost my whole flock in the heat
sad.png
. I had to start all over with new chicks this year and install misters, a fan and put up even more shade. But I haven't lost a single hen this year and summer is almost over. So hopefully that never happens again.
Good. If your hens aren't doing well, get some really cold water and put it on the chickens' wattles. Wattles regulate the chickens body temperature, so putting cold water on them will cool them down. Just a tip
smile.png
I've never had to use it, but that's because it's never hot here.
lol.png

Good. If your hens aren't doing well, get some really cold water and put it on the chickens' wattles. Wattles regulate the chickens body temperature, so putting cold water on them will cool them down. Just a tip :)  I've never had to use it, but that's because it's never hot here. :lol:

That's good to know, I've never heard that before. I have dipped hens in buckets of water before to cool them down. But their seems to be a debate about getting a chickens feathers wet. Apparently it traps the heat and can make things worse. So I like the idea of just cooling their combs down better.
100* F

Back
Top Bottom