What's the temperature where you are???

507 pm Friday beautiful blue sky

IMG_7372.png

IMG_7373.png

Saturday 13th April 9.50a.m. Sunny, 9.3 / 13kph SSE, Hg 58%, 20.1C / 67.8F heading for 22C / 72F. According to my highly scientific front door handle, which get's very warm to the touch on certain days, I'm betting the temp will go higher than 22C. Hazardous surf warning still keeping the surfers happy.

Moon is 22.6% 8 more days of high sap / growth period for above ground crops.

A freak storm has caused flash flooding in Perth's north, with reports of people having to be rescued from their submerged cars, ending one of the city's longest dry spells on record.

Videos posted to social media showed suburban streets and backyards inundated with rain and hail, and cars left stranded on flooded roads.

A shopping centre roof collapsed in Clarkson onto an area that had already been cordoned off with chairs, apparently due to a leaking roof.

Another video shows water lapping to the doors of homes, with people in the street walking around in knee-deep water.

The Bureau of Meteorology's Joey Rawson said a slow-moving thunderstorm dropped more than 130 millimetres of rain in Perth's northern suburbs on Friday afternoon.

"It's hit really hard," he said.

Mr Rawson said the thunderstorm had been off the coast and was expected to remain there, but the system instead drifted over the mainland.

"That caused a bit of havoc in the northern suburbs."

Hail also fell in some of the worst impacted areas.

"You can get hail in quite hot environments, and that's where you more likely get it because the stronger the thunderstorm is, the stronger the updraft that can hold the hail up in the atmosphere," Mr Rawson said.

Emergency service workers helped mainly elderly people trapped by flash flooding out of their cars.

Local roads around Clarkson and Butler were the worst hit.

Thunderstorm not forecast​

Glenn Hall from the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) said there were 45 calls for assistance, mostly to do with flooding around their homes, and that number was expected to rise.

He said the thunderstorm had been unexpected with the weather bureau only issuing an immediate warning as it hit.

Clarkson resident, Michael, says he collected 94 millimetres of rain in his backyard gauge in an hour from midday.

"It was horrendous. That's the worst we've had in 12 years," he said.

Thousands of customers are without power in Perth's northern suburbs because of the storms, including more than 2,000 in Yanchep and Two Rocks, where services are not expected to be restored until 9.30pm.

Businesses and community facilities in the area have been forced to close.

'Sky went black'​

Dale Ryan from the Sun City Country Club in Yanchep said about 12:45pm, the sky "went black" at the club's golf course, and a deluge of rain and lightning followed, inundating the golf course.

"It went like it was 7pm. I've been here 10 years and I've never seen anything like it."

Back
Top Bottom