8:30 PM
it’s 23
feels like 10
the ducks are really not going to want to come out in the morning

Attachments

• D15B33A6-0F96-483F-B215-BAFC99B1E192.jpeg
    D15B33A6-0F96-483F-B215-BAFC99B1E192.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 1
Sunday 21st January 8.38p.m. Wind is Moderate 27.8 / 51.8kph SSW, Hg 42%, Temp 22.6c / 72.7F now that the southerly has arrived.

Rain in the outback South Australian town of Andamooka usually comes with the promise of rare opals washing up — prompting locals to walk the streets with buckets, in search of newly unveiled rock and stones.

Leila Day, chair of the Andamooka Opal Fields Tourism Association, stumbled across an opal find after this week's downpour.

"I was lucky enough to find a painted lady ... a bit like a boulder opal, where the sedimentary rock and opal goes through the middle of that," she said.

"That just happened to be nicely washed up on the opal fields; a bit of dust was knocked off it and there it was, waiting to be found."

A history of opal in Andamooka​

After heavy rain, the main street — which is a natural creek bed in the town — turns into a makeshift swimming pool.

Cohan Fahey, owner and operator of the Andamooka Observatory, said thunderstorms and flash flooding help wash away dirt to unveil opal, as happened this week.

"The rain knocks all the dust off, moves the topsoil off itself and after a sunny day. I think we've got a week of 40 degrees with clear skies — you literally go picking up the shiny bits," he said.

Mr Fahey was not surprised to see the downpour had unveiled many opals this week.

"I've found a good chunk of what they call rainbow matrix; it's a product we treat with sugar and water ... it's probably worth $500-$600," he said.

"You'll find something ... it's not rocket science; it's literally like being a magpie, going around picking up shiny things after the rain."

Heavy rain turns Andamooka main road into river | Gold Coast Bulletin

If it wasn't for weather events most aussies wouldn't know about many of these cool towns!​

Back
Top Bottom