What's the temperature where you are???

141 pm Saturday feels 69 birds singing

IMG_6559.png

IMG_6560.png

Saturday 2nd March 4.06p.m. Grey and gloomy - it seems endless! Wind is 11.1 / 18.5kph SSW, Hg 62%, Temp 21.8C / 71.2F, no chance of it reaching the forecast 25C / 77F. Possible shower (spittle at most so far).

Moon is 64%

The best photos taken across WA in February​

5 hours ago​

103516198.jpg

Charlie Smith smiling in his sunflower crop. (ABC South West WA: Kate Forrester)

The February news cycle was dominated by stories about record-breaking heat, the arrival of dozens of asylum seekers near Broome and thousands of livestock stranded off WA's coast.

It's not often that journalists get to sit down one-on-one with the leader of the state or territory.

But WA political reporter Keane Bourke had Premier Roger Cook all to himself for the launch of ABC's Stateline.

Normally, in a media conference, there are a handful of reporters competing for just one question for politicians, but this set-up provided an environment to get insight into the premier's stance on key issues, like the cost of living and youth justice.

It's been more than four decades since the death of Indigenous 16-year-old John Pat, which launched the landmark Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody, but the impact of the tragedy still runs deep.

Reporter Jesmine Cheong took this photo of the boy's aunty Marion Cheedy, who remains a prominent figure in her hometown Roebourne.

Ms Cheong says the photo, taken with a wide-angle lens, depicted the Yindjibarndi elder's strength, and was taken at the park near her house where she goes to speak with the local kids every day.

"She's got a strong posture, she owns her space," she says.

What did you do for pocket money when you were younger?

Seven-year-old Charlie Smiths runs a sunflower farm in Manjimup, learning valuable lessons from his dad along the way.

He says he wants to grow "one trillion" sunflowers. 😍
is february normally your hottest months?

Sunday 3rd March 12.41p.m. Mostly clear and warm. Moderate wind 20.4 / 27.8kph NE, Hg 56%, temp 24.4C / 75.9F headed for 28C / 82F. Possible late shower.

Strong Wind Warning for the Illawarra Coast and Batemans Coast +

Monday, 4 March - Hazardous Surf Warning for​

Byron Coast, Coffs Coast, Macquarie Coast, Hunter Coast, Sydney Coast, Illawarra Coast, Batemans Coast and Eden Coast

Moon is 55.5%

As students swelter through back-to-school heatwaves, parents and teachers worry for the future​

8 hours ago​

Severe heatwave conditions around the country throughout February have seen students swelter through their first weeks of school, sparking calls for the government to properly address rising temperatures in classrooms.

February saw heatwave conditions impact parts of Western Australia, Queensland, South Australia and New South Wales, with students forced to endure some of the highest temperatures in the past week.

Hot weather policies vary across the country's public schools and are often dependent on the budget and infrastructure available to the administration.

Some require children to be kept home after the mercury reaches over 40 degrees on a prescribed number of days, while others require students to stay inside their classrooms and not play outside during recess and lunch breaks.

The varying policies have sparked concern about their effectiveness around the country.

WillyWeather AU

Circa 1970s: We used to have 6 weeks off school, beginning the week of Christmas, and it would already be quite hot by then as fishing and surfing had become end-of-year school sport electives. When school resumed in February we had the annual swimming carnival the second week back. I lived in Melbourne during grade 6 and the buses would take us home if the temp reached 37. I only spent a year there and the buses came twice(from memory). A heatwave used to be 5+ days in a row of 30C+, usually it was 27C that we would get for a week or less, and everyone I knew loved it - BBQs, horseriding, sailing, fires on the beach at nite. sigh. the young all need aircon to stay cool while playing video games lol

Aircon in cars (as a standard) and homes is a relatively new thing and only the school admin building had aircon, and this remained the case right through my own childrens' education, ending early 2000s. I just looked up my daughter's high school:

Cooler Classrooms​

The NSW Government is committed to providing students with healthy and comfortable learning environments. That’s why we’re investing a record $500 million to provide a sustainable air conditioning program for NSW schools.

Type: Program

1709436408393.png

Back
Top Bottom