what's up with this egg????

Jakoda

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Old Lyme CT
I didn't get a pic, but I have 9 chickens, since I get around 7 eggs a day on average, I'm figuring a couple aren't laying yet or an every other day thing.

Anyhow, tonite, I went to pick up an egg out of the box, it had a white film encasing it, a little gooey clear stuff on it as well, I scooped it up, the film came off the egg easily, the egg looked normal, cracked it open, looked normal.. So whats up with the white membrane covering the egg and clear gooey stuff??? A few days ago, my husband said he found one that had a pretty clear shell/soft shell. All other eggs I've been getting are fine/hard shells.

I'm thinking maybe one of them has just started laying may have something to do with it??

Thanks
Diane

Occasionally a new layer will lay an egg with no hard shell. Or maybe a bit of albumen (egg white) on the outside. As they get the kinks all worked out of their systems and get used to laying it stops. Also, when chickens lay an egg, the last thing they do is apply a protective coat that keeps the egg fresh. It could have been an extra portion of that. Any number of things that can happen with new layers but it doesn't sound like something to be worried about.

thanks that makes me feel better! Everyone seems to be happy and healthy, not sure who the late 'bloomer' is, could be one of the wyandottes since it seems like my columbian wyandotte lays lighter colored eggs..and this one was a tad lighter in color.

Back
Top Bottom