What's wrong with her toe?

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
Picked up my Cream Legbar to trim her nails and noticed one of her toes is injured. Her nail is also not normal. I quickly checked a few of my other birds and didn't notice anything, but will do a more in depth exam on all birds within the next few days.
What might be going on and how should I treat it? I don't see any signs of bumble foot or issues on the bottom of the toe/foot and she's walking normal.

Attachments

• 20240226_180725.jpg
    20240226_180725.jpg
    672.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240226_180802.jpg
    20240226_180802.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 8
She has some raised scales that probably are scaly leg mites, but it looks like she may have injured and broken a toe. I would treat the leg mites with applying vaseline twice a week to smother the mites. The broken toe should heal on it’s own in time, but she may lose the darkened toenail.

She has some raised scales that probably are scaly leg mites, but it looks like she may have injured and broken a toe. I would treat the leg mites with applying vaseline twice a week to smother the mites. The broken toe should heal on it’s own in time, but she may lose the darkened toenail.
Is it possible that the scaly leg mites only affect one bird? Should I be concerned for the rest of my flock? Should I treat the entire flock with Vaseline on the legs, even if I don't see evidence of scaly leg mites being present on them? Thanks!

Yes, whenever I have seen scaly leg mites, it was only on one or two birds. Those birds usually were older ones who did not dust bathe regularly, and they did not wear down their toenails. I would treat your coop though, and permethrin dust or spray can help.

Yes, whenever I have seen scaly leg mites, it was only on one or two birds. Those birds usually were older ones who did not dust bathe regularly, and they did not wear down their toenails. I would treat your coop though, and permethrin dust or spray can help.
I just did a deep clean of the coop a couple days ago, but did not treat with anything. Can I treat the coop with permethrin without having to deep clean again? I have some, but I've never used it.
Should I wrap her toe after applying Vaseline?

I just did a deep clean of the coop a couple days ago, but did not treat with anything. Can I treat the coop with permethrin without having to deep clean again? I have some, but I've never used it.
Should I wrap her toe after applying Vaseline?
That is probably good enough for scaly leg mites. If you had body mites on the chicken, that can be a big clean-out. I don’t treat other birds with the vaseline or other oils unless I see lifted scales. Nustock cream for horses is also a good treatment because it contains sulfur powder which kills leg mites.

Back
Top Bottom