What's wrong with my chick!! HELP! She was fine this AM

CEOBrown

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2016
Northern Virginia
My young chick (2 weeks maybe?) I just noticed she was listless, lethargic and hardly willing to move when I got home! I take them outside for a little sunshine and air after work and even with that she hasn't perked up. I got her to drink a few sips of water, but she won't eat her food. I even gave her a piece of meat and a hot noodle and she won't go for it sad.pngsad.png
Her tail is being held very low/drooping. She keeps sleeping and let's her head drop low. No pasty butt, eyes and nostrils clear, but it seems like she's breathing heavy as well? AHH I'm so upset about this!! I read about cocciodiosis but they've been getting medicated food sad.png HELP!

Has she been out on grass and dirt? If so, was there chick grit available to eat? How does her crop feel--full and hard or soft, or empty? I she having runny stools? Get her on some electrolyte and vitamin water, SaveAChick, pedialyte, Gatorade, ect. If her crop seems okay, then I would be tempted to start her on Corid (amprollium) from the cattle medicines at your feed store in the morning to treat for possible coccidiosis. Treat all chicks at the same time if you treat her. If her crop is hard, then push the electrolyte water and massage her crop tonight and tomorrow.

Is it possible she got coccidiosis even when on medicated chick feed?
I am not sure how her crop feels like vs how it's supposed to... It's my first batch of chicks ever
1f625.png
They do go outside daily, they have starter feed available to them, water, dirt, grass, bugs etc. I've been starting them on some "people" food as well, not too much just a little to get them introduced. Their favorite dessert (after starter feed) is broccoli and meal worms. I have her separated from the others- and oddly they aren't even calling for her. She would take a little sugar water from a qtip and a few sips of regular water when I put it up to her beak but NO LUCK on food.

ND she's so docile it's scary. Like she just lets me flip her and poke her all over and inspect her and she doesn't hardly even chirp. It's like she doesn't have the energy to protest and its freaking me out. I keep looking for something abnormal on her but it's not obvious to me
1f62d.png

I am having issues with my hen. She keeps sneezing and she sounds bad when she tries to make noise it sounds ruff. I've been giving her antibiotics.she has runny poo and her eggs are very small. The last egg had a small ripple in the side. Now one of my younger hens threw up today. I don't know what's wrong

I found the root!! Her crop seems swollen/enlarged? Put her in a warm bath for her bum and with her feathers wet/not poofy I noticed it. Omg! What do I do now??

First poop since I got home at 7:00- now at 2:30. Seems like way too long. Labored breathing, fell back asleep and wouldn't wake. Is she doomed? Anyone familiar at all?
2639.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom