Whats wrong with my chicks legs?

BayRyder

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 14, 2012
This chick was taken in after others were picking on it. I'm not sure how old it is or if if had problems hatching. It does have problems walking & standing. It seems to use one leg more & is not really able to stand & kind of hops using its stronger leg. Attached is a pic of its leg. One looks fine but the other abnormal. Can anyone give me an idea whats going on & a possible way to maybe cure it besides the vet? Thanks

Looks like your chick has spraddle leg and has swollen and discolored hocks from resting on his hocks rather than his feet. This is really common and can be fixed - the earlier you catch it the less dramatic the measures you need to fix it, and the quicker it fixes. This website is my favorite for tricks on fixing spraddle leg and other foot/leg ailments: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/
Just go the the section marked "poultry podiatry" and check out the spraddle leg cures. Good luck!

It's difficult to tell from this photo what's going on but my blog post on spraddle leg should be able to help you figure out if that's what's going on AND how to treat it if it is. If she's young enough, it's completely treatable within a day or two.
There are lots of photos and instructions for treating this yourself: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html Good luck with her and I hope it works out for her

This chick was taken in after others were picking on it. I'm not sure how old it is or if if had problems hatching. It does have problems walking & standing. It seems to use one leg more & is not really able to stand & kind of hops using its stronger leg. Attached is a pic of its leg. One looks fine but the other abnormal. Can anyone give me an idea whats going on & a possible way to maybe cure it besides the vet? Thanks

Thanks guys. Ill read up on it. Its toes are curled & I did put a splint on it to spread the toes out but it still has been having a hard time really using its legs to stand up & as Uniontown Poultry said its resting on its hocks alot especially the one thats swollen. I thought it was spraddle at first but its legs dont spread out. other than that its eating fine but still have to hand feed water.

Thanks guys. Ill read up on it. Its toes are curled & I did put a splint on it to spread the toes out but it still has been having a hard time really using its legs to stand up & as Uniontown Poultry said its resting on its hocks alot especially the one thats swollen. I thought it was spraddle at first but its legs dont spread out. other than that its eating fine but still have to hand feed water.
Good luck with her and keep us posted.

After going over the info on the links I found out it was slipped achilles tendon. Stretched its leg out & wrapped it up & put it in a chicken sling/chair. We took it out the other day & removed the wrap & already it started to stand/walk normally
wee.gif
. We decided to rewrap its leg & put it in the sling/chair a couple more days since even though it got better it still had a little difficulty. Overall great news & the chick is on its way to recovery. Thanks for the the links with all the info.

Back
Top Bottom