whats wrong with my duck ?

Daniel_2kaii9

Songster
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
South Wales
hey, this afternoon i opened the door 2 my chicken & duck coop and my pekin hen duck was laying on the floor with her legs flat behined her like as if she cant stand on her feet at the moment my dad tryed 2 stand her up but she just gose back laying down with her legs behined her she was out in the run this morning she was fine can someone help me please ?

thanks

When your dad tried to stand her up, how did that go? Did she seem to have any strength in her legs, did she lie down again in that position? I have had a runner lie prone like that for a few seconds after getting her leg caught in something she was stepping over. But when I lifted her up and freed her leg, she was fine.

How old is she?

Last edited:
Quote:
The OP already stated that the duck did not stand up after the father tried to help it. Hopefully more duck people come along for this one. I have never had issues with my ducks
hugs.gif

Quote:
when my dad tryed standing her up she just went back down in the same position
sad.png

when shes laying down she can kick her legs but thats about it
hmm.png

im not sure how old she is
hmm.png

hope she will be ok in the morning
fl.gif
fl.gif

Quote:
im not sure how old she is
hmm.png

Well, how long have you had her? What does she eat? Has she been laying eggs?

Pekins are prone to leg and foot problems because of their weight - how do the bottoms of her feet look? Do the hock joints (the big "knee" joints on her legs) look swollen or feel warm/hot to the touch?

Sorry for so many questions, but the answers may help someone here figure out what's wrong and what you can do to help!

she might have just been resting her feet couse this morning shes walking around like nothings happened
big_smile.png

i've had her for about 9 months or maybe longer cant remember lol

thay all eat chicken and laying pellets mixed together

yes she has been laying eggs

her lags seemed ok but im just glad she's up and walking today
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Good to hear your duck has recovered. Years ago when I was young growing up on a farm- My mother used to use an ultra violet heat lamp on our ducks if they went lame. They would be unable to walk with a swollen and very warm hock one day- and back running around after a few treatments of a few minutes each time. We never knew the cause of the occasional lameness though. Just a thought... If she was having difficultly laying an egg- she may have bee in some pain and temporarilty unable to walk...If she did lay that egg during the nihjt- She may now be feeling better and able to walk around without pain again.

Hello, I hope someone can help me with my duck. She is a jumbo Peking and can't lift her head. I found her all stretched out on the ground. It has been unusually cold. And the water has frozen everyday. I brought her inside to the bathtub gave her enough water so that she could lay her head down without drowning. She seems weak, doesn't want to eat, but will try to take grapes. She has been this way for 2 days now. She doesn't seem to be injured.

Keep her inside, comfortable, with clean water for drinking available to her. She may be suffering from exposure to the cold, she may be egg bound. Does she usually lay, and has not been laying the last few days?

Put a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a quart of water for her to drink - it has electrolytes in it. If her water has been frozen, she may also be dehydrated.

She needs mild temperatures and fresh lukewarm water for now. See if you can help her drink by holding a cup of water up to her bill, just dip the bill in the water see if she can take the water herself.

If you can get her to a vet, they can rehydrate her more quickly and do a better job diagnosing the problem. I understand if a vet is not possible.

Back
Top Bottom