what's wrong with my feet?

joanna

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 9, 2007
OK, my little chickie has developed some funky looking feet. No known injuries; nothing different for her than anyone else in her "class". She seems to get along fine, but if this is something I need to worry about, then I need to know what it is and how to deal with it.

They are always like that...unless I'm holding her and encouraging them to straighten out (which doesn't seem to hurt her). She's flighty and stand-off-ish, but she's always been that way and since she's that way...it's hard to know exactly when this condition developed.

Any ideas?
(edited to add picture)

crookedfeet.jpg

Last edited:
How old is the chick? What are they standing on daily?

Depending on the age you may be able to make cardboard boots and straighten the toes out.

curlytoes1.jpg

Please remember bumping is aginst the forum rules.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/misc.php?action=rules

6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.​

she's 3 months old. they were in a brooder with pine shavings until they were about 6-7 weeks, then moved into the big girls' coop. plywood flooring covered in pine shavings and on ground. I really can't figure it out. she's the only one with funny toes.
barnie.gif

sorry about the bump...didn't know.
idunno.gif

She may be too old to use the boots but it never hurts to try.

If her feet where fine and are just now starting to draw up it is hard to say for sure what causes it without a vet exam. It could be as simple as a vitamin deficiency.

I would try the boots and give her 3 drops of infants polyvisol vitamins every day for 5 days and then check the toes and see if they are straightening. If it is helping put boots back on for another week.

Back
Top Bottom