What's wrong with my free roaming rooster's feet? Bumblefoot maybe?

Saraschickens

Chirping
Dec 8, 2023
Hi! I have a houdan rooster, about 6-7 months old. His feet look bad, and seem to be getting worse. I'm thinking maybe bumblefoot or maybe mites... šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø I've only dealt with bumblefoot once ever, and it was actually with my female houdan several months ago. We caught that very early and took care of it quickly, but man do I not want to do that again. Thankfully we were able to cure that without cutting at all, took about 2 months of wrapping her feet. She's mostly confined (free roams a few hours a day), where as he is fully free roaming. I put him in a pen with a free roaming hen at night only, for safety purposes. The pen is clean. He was getting on the roof of the chicken coop at night to roost for a week straight before we got his night time pen built, and we noticed the sharp gutter cut his feet on the tops. That has healed.
I've seen scaly leg mites on my silkies in the past. So I'm familiar with what they look like. This doesn't look like mites to me, especially because it's only on the bottom of the feet. I just realized I only took pictures of the bottoms not the tops, but the tops look fine. Smooth and healthy. I just added one of the top, kind of.
I bandaged him up. I've been washing them with Dawn dishsoap, putting rubbing alcohol (my husband suggested), after dry, putting Vetericyn hydrogel all over his feet, after dry adding neosporin (without painkiller), this time I used PRID. I've been lazy on changing his bandages though (because I don't know what it is yet, and just because I was being lazy). It was a ton of work treating the bumblefoot on my hen Dana. This is Danny (sometimes Houdanny). They are a trip! So much fun! A great breed to have around. I'm new to them, and he has the funniest sounds and best personality! Like nothing I've ever seen! šŸ˜‚ He was puffed up in the one picture. He follows me around.
Thanks in advance to anyone with an opinion or suggestion on this.

Attachments

• 20231223_134554.jpg
    20231223_134554.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20231223_135943.jpg
    20231223_135943.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20231223_135956.jpg
    20231223_135956.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20231223_135946.jpg
    20231223_135946.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20231223_142603.jpg
    20231223_142603.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20231223_134657.jpg
    20231223_134657.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231223_134646.jpg
    20231223_134646.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231223_134611.jpg
    20231223_134611.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231223_134603.jpg
    20231223_134603.jpg
    705 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Hi! I have a houdan rooster, about 6-7 months old. His feet look bad, and seem to be getting worse. I'm thinking maybe bumblefoot or maybe mites... šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø I've only dealt with bumblefoot once ever, and it was actually with my female houdan several months ago. We caught that very early and took care of it quickly, but man do I not want to do that again. Thankfully we were able to cure that without cutting at all, took about 2 months of wrapping her feet. She's mostly confined (free roams a few hours a day), where as he is fully free roaming. I put him in a pen with a free roaming hen at night only, for safety purposes. The pen is clean. He was getting on the roof of the chicken coop at night to roost for a week straight before we got his night time pen built, and we noticed the sharp gutter cut his feet on the tops. That has healed.
I've seen scaly leg mites on my silkies in the past. So I'm familiar with what they look like. This doesn't look like mites to me, especially because it's only on the bottom of the feet. I just realized I only took pictures of the bottoms not the tops, but the tops look fine. Smooth and healthy. I just added one of the top, kind of.
I bandaged him up. I've been washing them with Dawn dishsoap, putting rubbing alcohol (my husband suggested), after dry, putting Vetericyn hydrogel all over his feet, after dry adding neosporin (without painkiller), this time I used PRID. I've been lazy on changing his bandages though (because I don't know what it is yet, and just because I was being lazy). It was a ton of work treating the bumblefoot on my hen Dana. This is Danny (sometimes Houdanny). They are a trip! So much fun! A great breed to have around. I'm new to them, and he has the funniest sounds and best personality! Like nothing I've ever seen! šŸ˜‚ He was puffed up in the one picture. He follows me around.
Thanks in advance to anyone with an opinion or suggestion on this.
Mites. Seriously. Iā€™m dealing with them. Iā€™ve tried a ton of things and what seems to be working is washing the feet with sulfur 8 shampoo (ethnic section of hair care in Walmart for us) and also activated charcoal soap. After rinsing I soak in elector psp solution and allow to dry. Time consuming but it is helping my light Brahma roo and hens tremendously

Mites. Seriously. Iā€™m dealing with them. Iā€™ve tried a ton of things and what seems to be working is washing the feet with sulfur 8 shampoo (ethnic section of hair care in Walmart for us) and also activated charcoal soap. After rinsing I soak in elector psp solution and allow to dry. Time consuming but it is helping my light Brahma roo and hens tremendously
Thank you for your advice!
Do you really think it's mites? It's only on the bottom of his feet, and only on the pad parts. I believe scaly leg mites are only on the top of the feet. Do you have mites on the bottom of any of your chickens feet?
I'm almost thinking it could be like bumbles from berry bushes. They don't get around the berry bushes, but that doesn't mean they haven't at some point.

Thank you!
It kind of looks like that, but not quite. šŸ¤”
They're scrubbing with a toothbrush, putting triple antibiotic & then Aquaphor? Is that Aquaphor, as in lotion? Is Aquaphor something people use on chickens? Does anyone know why "Aquaphor" specifically?
Or are you thinking that might happen because I have it wrapped?

Thank you!
It kind of looks like that, but not quite. šŸ¤”
They're scrubbing with a toothbrush, putting triple antibiotic & then Aquaphor? Is that Aquaphor, as in lotion? Is Aquaphor something people use on chickens? Does anyone know why "Aquaphor" specifically?
Or are you thinking that might happen because I have it wrapped?
Aquaphor likely used as a barrier ointment or protectant.

If wrapping, the feet need to stay dry, so keeping him on clean dry bedding may help or at least change wrappings daily.

Contact Dermatitis is a suggestion - something you can take and run with to figure out whether or not that's what you're dealing with.

Aquaphor likely used as a barrier ointment or protectant.

If wrapping, the feet need to stay dry, so keeping him on clean dry bedding may help or at least change wrappings daily.

Contact Dermatitis is a suggestion - something you can take and run with to figure out whether or not that's what you're dealing with.
Ok, thank you! šŸ‘

Back
Top Bottom