What's wrong with my hen?

shalynnbrothers

Chirping
Jan 31, 2016
Ramona, CA
My frizzle hen's head/neck is bald. She has a bald spot on her wing and her tale feathers are pretty much all gone. I can't figure out why! I haven't witnessed any of the other chickens picking on her and I don't believe she's doing it to herself. Today I went out to check on her and she's just sitting in the nesting box away from everyone else. She looks depressed. What could this be!?

My frizzle hen's head/neck is bald. She has a bald spot on her wing and her tale feathers are pretty much all gone. I can't figure out why! I haven't witnessed any of the other chickens picking on her and I don't believe she's doing it to herself. Today I went out to check on her and she's just sitting in the nesting box away from everyone else. She looks depressed. What could this be!?
Any photos?

How old is she?
Do you have a rooster?
Do you see any pin feathers coming in?

Feather loss can be from other chickens plucking them out - watch to see if this is happening when she is laying her egg or while roosting at night. Another cause could be molting - it's not unheard of to molt this time of year is she is 16-18months of age and has stopped laying eggs. Molting usually starts at the neck and head then progresses downward.

Since she seems like she is not feeling well, offer her some poultry vitamins - keep her hydrated and give her some chopped egg or tuna in addition to her normal feed.

Back
Top Bottom