whats wrong with my hen?

CaliBlueChicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 18, 2009
SF Bay Area
1) What type of bird , age and weight. Blue orpington wyadonette mix, 6 months... I am not sure her weight but she has lost weight and is weak.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Sleepy, eyes closing, laying down most of the day... loosing interest in food and water. I am helping her with water. looking fluffed up and cold. though it has been in the 80s here.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? about 4 days

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No known trama, etc.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I dont know

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layena.. and recently I have been giving her chick food for protien cause she was loosing the weight. eating a little, but less and less. I was doing some research and think she has coccidiosis so I went to the feed store and got her some Sulmet, I started that today and have been helping her drink about every half hour... I started it at 1pm it is now 315pm. I feed my chickens the normal kitchen treats too.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny white... or green with lots of white.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? The first couple of days I just gave her some electrolytes, she is separate from the rest of the flock... since she hasnt gotten any better I started Sulmet today.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I am hoping to do this myself, I am not sure that there is a vet that would take a chicken around here. I live in a city.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. we will be taking her inside tonight in a box with some newspaper. previously she stayed in the coop at night.. pine shavings, with DE... free range in the day. FOod and water available all day.

thank you in advance.

CaliblueChicken,

Coccidia takes a while to get over. My birds (whole flock) have been on the liquid form of the same thing for over a month now. It's an on & off program, but takes time. I think your bird is a little worse than mine were, but you are doing the correct thing with it. Just don't overlap any other meds. with it. It's hard on their systems. But you got to it right away it sounds like! Good job! Some birds take longer than others. My original ones that introduced it, still don't have it cleared up. So it may depend on age of bird, breed, climate temp in your area, and the advancement of the Coccidia.

Be careful on how you handle everything too, it's contagious to humans, pets & other animals (with the exception of cats). Treat areas of waste, and where you dispose of things, so it cleared up there. It gets into the soil if it gets a chance also. Just dont' treat the soil or grassy areas that you are letting birds or other animals, since to treat areas it has to be more concentrated to get the stuff cleared up. That's too strong for the birds/animals to eat or be on. Check with your Vet on how to treat your pens and range area if you want the other's not to pick it up or get infected with it. It a chicken ingests anything from the ground where this bird has had droppings before it will get passed on or circulated to all of the other birds you have. So be watching for color changes in the droppings of all of them. Orange, red, brown, black all mean Coccidia (Blood in the droppings). There are other colorations too, but mine did not have that kind.
I'm praying for your little Chicken to be better, & have a full recovery asap:)
Good luck, & take care!

hit.gif
Well, she didn't make it. She was a sweetie, would watch me cook sitting on the back porch railing looking in the window. I will miss her. She passed last night while I was at work, my husband was caring for her. The more research that I do I think that she may have had kidney failure
sad.png
Poor girl...well at least she is out of pain now. Thanks for your help guys
smile.png
sad.png

Caliblue Chicken

Sorry to hear about your chicken. She sounded like a really great chicken. If it was kidney failure, then to be out of pain is better. I do believe you will keep her in your heart though, she was a special chicken. It was nice to hear about her & the great personality she had. My prayers are with you and your beloved chicken.
Take care.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom