What's wrong with this chicks bottom?

dixie&trixie

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Yreka California
Im posting this for a friend of mine. She has a little frizzle chick with a swollen bottom. Some have said it was ascites others said it was an ingrown feather issue. Has any one here had a chick with this? If so, how did you treat?

I can't really tell what I'm looking at. Usually, feather loss on their bottom is from others pulling their feathers out and (usually) eating them. If there's a lump that feels a bit like an egg there, she may be eggbound. If her belly feels full of fluid, internal laying is a possibility, or a cancer, or heart disease. Ascites is fluid in the abdomen, outside of the intestines, often caused by internal laying or cancer.

I'm no expert, and there could certainly be other causes.

I just got some chicks yesterday and one of them has a bottom that looks like this- like it has lost its feathers. When I first brought it home it had poop stuck to the butt, I wiped it off with a wet paper towel. It is eating and playing like the others, doesn't seem to be bothered by the other ones trying to pick its other feathers off or anything so I'm just going to watch it unless there is anyone who has suggestions.

What? No DE is being used. This chick belongs to a friend of mine, just trying to help her out.

Since that isn't the case, it could be irritation caused by Favus or something similar. I've taken care of symptoms like this with Lotrimin Clotrimazole Cream. Clotrimazole is an antibiotic that is affective against Aspergillus, yeasts like Candida, and other fungi. It kills the fungi while soothing the tissue.

Back
Top Bottom