What's yoour opinion?

I have cochins, and they get broody every three months. I've tried to break them without success, and they don't lay for the full three weeks. If you don't mind the break in production, I can't recommend them enough. Our girls are very sweet and well behaved; they like being held, get along with our cats, and have never pecked our kids. I have friends with BO's, which are equally as "loving." Hopefully someone with experience with them will write in on their broodiness! Both are wonderful breeds, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Well, while there are more Orpingtons than Buff ones, there are a myriad of Cochin types.

Both are wonderful breeds.

Do you live in an area where it gets really hot for long periods of time? That is a little harder on Cochins than Orps. Muddy a lot of time? Not so great with feathered feet.

You might consider those factors.

My BO has been broody sooo many times and isn't even a year old yet. She is the sweetest thing, very loving and motherly. She has not hatched any eggs but we are getting baby chicks and letting her raise them.

Back
Top Bottom