What's your favorite chicken resource book?

Caju

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
There are so many books about keeping chickens. I'd like to know which ones people like best. Obviously, BYC is a fantastic resource, but I like to consult books, too.

Not sure where to post this. Could there be a "Favorite Chicken Resources" section?

Thanks!
Caju

Nifty-Chicken (BYC's owner) coauthored Raising Chickens for Dummies. I flipped though it last time we went to TSC and it looked pretty good.

all depends on what type of book you are looking for,
General info, Nifty's book Chickens for Dummies, the FFA book, How to raise Chickens is good too
Breeding, the Mating and Breeding of Poultry
Small Flock info, for city and suburbs Keep Chickens
A good read with chicken stories Hen and the Art of Chicken Maintenance: Reflections on Raising Chickens
magazine, Backyard Poultry

Last edited:
I like "A Guide To Raising Chickens" by Gail Damerow from Storey Publishing. It's really complete. You don't need to read the whole thing cover to cover, but if you need to know something about chickens, it's usually in there. The chapters are well organized and there's an index.

I haven't had a chance to read Nifty's new book, but I'm sure it's good.

Last edited:
I don't like '"A Guide To Raising Chickens" by Gail Damerow' some of the info in it is more opinion than fact, I do own a copy it was the first book on chickens that I bought, there are other books that are better

Back
Top Bottom