What's your strangest "barnyard buddies" pair?

Chaneys Ranch

Formerly jchny2000
10 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Pendleton, Indiana, USA
Anyone else have 2 completely different livestock species become best buddies?
I know, there's some serious things to be concerned about including parasites, disease transmission... we dont sell/gift our eggs, meat etc. Well aware of these risks and am installing secondary pigpen fencing to attempt to stop it.
I just wanted to share the "lighter side" of this, really warmed my heart some. This spring, we started raising chickens again after several years away from it, geese and ducks. Well chicken math... started with 14 birds.. it will get ya every time!
Every afternoon, all my birds free range, we are at about 49 birds total: 31 chickens, 6 geese 4 ducks 8 guinea hen.. Everyone goes back to their respective coops around 6pm. duck and geese well.. when they want to. I always come up one Cornish X short on my chicken count, my little runt - bottom of the pecking order. I usually find her sleeping on the oldest pig, Bacon! He is at least 125 pounds at about 18 weeks old, and was a runt too. The little X is maybe 2 pounds at 9 weeks! If they aren't snoozing, he is sharing supper with her! If she gets into the feedbowl, he gives her a nose nudge and then they both continue eating! The first day i saw this i was in a panic! I will post some pictures tomorrow if the rains stop, its just unbelievable. The 2 are just inseparable.
At first, i could coax her out with a mealie or a tomato. Now she isn't having it, she wants to stay with Bacon! If i get her out, and put her in her coop, Bacon is squealing and grunting his head off for hours. The little X is balking and crabbing so loud, wow that's coming out of her?!?!?! I even tried to introduce the other feeder pig RoastieRoxy (You're laughing
lau.gif
i can hear you...how can you tell a 6 year old girl with big brown eyes no?) in hopes they would buddy up.. NOPE not happening. i saw the biggest mouth ever opening up on Bacon, attempting to bite Roxy! Guess the Lil Cornish girl will be staying here a bit longer than the rest of the group!
LilX has grown on me so she is probably a keeper. I am doubtful she will ever lay an egg, but just isn't a normal Cornish cross. We are adding 2 rehomed Alpaca next week, and they are fond of turkeys as groomers and companions LOL.. that sure works well with my spring planning!

What a nice story, thank you so much for posting that! It put a smile on my face! I am so very happy LilX will get to stay a keeper. You are going to have to keep her pig too!

I have 4 horses, 2 dogs, 3 rabbits and now 10 chickens, and no strange matches yet!

thanks for posting.
MB

What a nice story, thank you so much for posting that! It put a smile on my face! I am so very happy LilX will get to stay a keeper. You are going to have to keep her pig too!

I have 4 horses, 2 dogs, 3 rabbits and now 10 chickens, and no strange matches yet!

thanks for posting.
MB
Thank you! Ugh i would love to keep Bacon, he is my first pig. I have really enjoyed raising him, and learned they aren't all bad. I have heard a lot of stories on how mean, smelly and difficult they are. Not so, he is so funny! he loves scratches and ear rubs. When his time comes, i know i won't/couldn't be the one doing it. Every animal we keep i give love and respect to, no matter what their end purpose will be. They deserve that much from us.

Aww, so cute! :love

Last winter during a snow storm we let the goats into the coop to keep warm. Once it was over I went out and found my BR roo, Brock, sitting on my whether,Max's, back to keep his feet warm! It was so funny and pretty soon he had about 7 chickens on , including a d'Uccle on his head (he's naturally hornless). Then Brock starting venturing out into the goat's pen just to ride on Max. Oh and Brock liked to ride horses too.:rolleyes: silly boy.

Back
Top Bottom