Wheat-free Feed?

Kokakorr

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2022
I think nutritional deficiency is contributing to my quail hen stumbling. Could you help me figure out what to feed my flock? This would be easy except that we can't have wheat on the property due to severe allergies. If the feed could be gluten-free too, that would be even better.

Currently, our quail are on grass and being fed Topflite Finch seed mix (Canary Seed, Panicum, White French Millet, Red Panicum, Japanese Millet, Oilseed Rape, Linseed; Protein 13.5%, Fat 7.4%, Fibre 7.3%), a small handful of dried mealworms each day, the occasional dandelion or Chinese cabbage leaf, and ACV (5 ml per 300 ml spring water) and Vetafarm Multivet liquid vitamins in their water. We have a cuttlefish bone available. I mix fine oyster shell with the seeds. The quail have access to sand for grit.

I live in NZ and can't source many of the usual recommended crumble brands.

The advice to consider rehoming her is hard to hear as my son dotes on his birds. Their welfare is paramount, though. I'm hoping I can quickly cobble together an appropriate diet. If not, we'll have to do as you say.

What else other than feed could be causing her balance issues? Overmating, heat, head injury? She had mild bumblefoot, which seems to be resolved now. When she does manage to run, she crouched with her head parallel to the ground.
There are injuries that could cause stumbling, but what you're feeding her will definitely cause those things, and it will only get worse unless you can get her proper food. I mentioned rehoming her because if she can't get proper feed, she will die.

What you're feeding them is definitely not good for her, and very likely to be causing her health issue.

A lot of game bird feeds have soy for protein, but you'd have to check the ingredient list for wheat.

If you can't find an appropriate feed that you can tolerate, you might want to consider rehoming her.

It's summer here - I think Miss Quail is prone to dehydration. The stumbling improved a little after some TLC in a pet carrier inside for a week, but today she was worse again. :( I definitely need to optimise the feed, along with trying everything we can to reduce the current symptom.

you could try mixing in human protien powders
The human protein powders will help with the protein, but a quail needs more than just protein.
Here are the nutrition labels from a couple of brands that I use.
FeedHuntBehrens.jpg
FeedBarAle.jpg

All of the gamebird or chicken layer crumbles that I have found contain wheat, either listed on the label or as broll.

What you're feeding them is definitely not good for her, and very likely to be causing her health issue.

A lot of game bird feeds have soy for protein, but you'd have to check the ingredient list for wheat.

If you can't find an appropriate feed that you can tolerate, you might want to consider rehoming her.
The advice to consider rehoming her is hard to hear as my son dotes on his birds. Their welfare is paramount, though. I'm hoping I can quickly cobble together an appropriate diet. If not, we'll have to do as you say.

What else other than feed could be causing her balance issues? Overmating, heat, head injury? She had mild bumblefoot, which seems to be resolved now. When she does manage to run, she crouched with her head parallel to the ground.

Back
Top Bottom