wheat straw as substrate/bedding?

Ginevive

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
I keep my 2 roos in a horse stall with a flat concrete floor. It has good drainage.. now, is wheat straw a good bedding for them? It is not dusy and I use it for the horses. Unlike using hay, they do not eat the straw.. so would the chix eat it? I had them in it overnight and it all still looks to be there.. scratched out of place of course in the areas that I tossed their feed.. and it was cute, they made a little nest together in the corner where they slept.
smile.png
I know that most people use shavings, but I have the straw here anyway in abundance.

I have used straw in the past. It's just easier for me to buy the bags of pine shavings now.
The chickens love straw. They can scratch through and maybe find some wheat treats!
smile.png
It doesn't get so matted that it's hard to remove.

I use a mix of pine shavings and straw. I put down the layer of pine straw (4 in) and then add the straw (1 bale for a 12x12 coop). They seem to love the straw...

I use wheat straw. I just make sure to add DE all over the straw to kill whatever lives in the hollow parts. No buggies allowed!!

Back
Top Bottom