Wheaten marans cockerel?

RonoKT

Songster
Jan 29, 2016
London UK
Hi all,
I have a single wheaten marans chick, when it first hatched I thought it was a male because it had a relatively well developed comb. I also looked at it's vent and saw what seemed like a male bump, but I am very new to chickens and don't have any confidence in what I saw, I know vent sexing is far from simple. Now as the chick is developing (now 3 weeks) it seems to be feathering in the shoulders which I have read is a pullet sign. If I had other WMs to compare it to, I expect it would be easier, any opinions would be very welcome. The chick is very against being handled and is a bit of a loner, dominant in a crowd but rarely in a crowd.

I have pictures of all my chicks but very few of this one as it does not like me taking photos and runs if i try. If any specific photos would help, let me know.

At 3 weeks that is a good sized comb and quite pink. That is the characteristic that gives me the strongest indication of sex at that age. By no means certain yet, but my feeling is towards roo. If it gets larger and pinker in the next few weeks it will confirm it.

That's my thoughts too, I wish I had photos from when it was younger though, the comb was almost as large when it hatched and I don't think the colour has changed either.

I am now certain this little guy is a guy. I'll post a photo shortly. He struts, he stands taller than any others and his comb is growing fast.

Last edited:
Looks like a cute little cockerel. Beside the comb development, I believe the darker feathers say boy in the wheatens, too...but I might be mistaken on that.

Back
Top Bottom