Wheaten Marans?

WheatenLover

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2023
I have a two week old chick who I can’t decide is a pullet or cockerel! I know you can tell by feathering at this age, but I’m not too familiar, I would appreciate everyone’s input!

Attachments

• 3D34687D-3158-43CC-B119-F811B3DE86DF.jpeg
    3D34687D-3158-43CC-B119-F811B3DE86DF.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 69B505DA-263E-44B2-AE59-33D7640CEDD1.jpeg
    69B505DA-263E-44B2-AE59-33D7640CEDD1.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Oh...I just looked up sexing Wheaten Marans and I didn't know you could sex them by wing feather color. Oopsies! 😅
I would have said the same thing originally.

Regardless, I put zero stock in any sort of wing sexing.

I believe this one is past the point of being able to wing sex. I believe it has to be day 2 or 3 right when these feathers are coming in.

With wheaten marans it's the color of the juvenile wings we're looking at. Not the typical growth rate of the feather itself, which in most breeds doesn't work. I'm not experienced enough with the wheaten marans though. The amount of black isn't too much, but I don't know if it's enough. @JedJackson what say you?

With wheaten marans it's the color of the juvenile wings we're looking at. Not the typical growth rate of the feather itself, which in most breeds doesn't work. I'm not experienced enough with the wheaten marans though. The amount of black isn't too much, but I don't know if it's enough. @JedJackson what say you?
@RoostersAreAwesome seems to know quite a bit about the variety as well.

Here's what a hatchery had to say on the matter: "While Wheaten Marans are not autosexing, you can easily tell males and females by a few weeks of age. The females will remain the lighter wheaten color, and the males will develop much darker feathers."

I think this bird will need a bit more time, unless someone who breeds this variety can help out. When the breast feathers start growing in, it is easy to tell because darker feathers in that area mean you have a cockerel. My hunch is that this will be a pullet, but don't quote me on that lol.

Here's what a hatchery had to say on the matter: "While Wheaten Marans are not autosexing, you can easily tell males and females by a few weeks of age. The females will remain the lighter wheaten color, and the males will develop much darker feathers."

I think this bird will need a bit more time, unless someone who breeds this variety can help out. When the breast feathers start growing in, it is easy to tell because darker feathers in that area mean you have a cockerel. My hunch is that this will be a pullet, but don't quote me on that lol.
x2
The chick should be a pullet by the color of its wings, but I wouldn’t say it’s guaranteed.

Thanks everyone! I sex my wheaten Ameraucanas by colouring, but I have a whole bunch to compare to so it’s more obvious than this lone guy! Crossing my fingers for a pullet!

Back
Top Bottom