wheezing 11 week old easter egger hen

ArtistaRaquel

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Manassas, Va
We have 3 pullets who are almost 11 weeks old that we just moved outside in the last week due to the springtime temps staying in the upper 40s to 50s at night now. They include 2 easter eggers and 1 blue cochin. We also have 2 full-grown hens (easter egger and silver laced wyandotte), so we are keeping the little ones in a 12' long x 5' wide x 4' tall run made of PVC pipes and chicken wire until they are big enough to introduce to the grown hens.

One of the easter egger pullets started wheezing 2 days ago and has not stopped since. Otherwise she appears fine, other than possibly sleeping/ resting more than usual. (However, all of the hens, little and big, have been relaxing a lot these past few weeks, what with the warm breezes and lovely weather)

If anyone has any suggestions we would be most appreciative. We definitely consider them our pets and don't want to see anything happen to her.

Rachel

p.s. you can see pics of all the girls at www.artistaraquel.wordpress.com The pullet in question is the reddish one named Helen.

i almost forgot -
welcome-byc.gif
!

Thanks for the reply. We went to the local feed store (which is kind of a joke, considering we're 10 miles from DC, so they don't have the selection we'd hope for) and they were out of the chick medicated crumbles, which we switched over from about 3 weeks ago. We did find one bag of medicated crumbles that can be used for a wide array of livestock, which you mix in with the normal food, and some electrolyte powder for the water. She did not seem to improve much between giving those to her yesterday afternoon and this morning, so we finally decided to take her away from the other 2 little girls and put her back in the house. She's in a large bird cage turned on its side and the flooring is covered with newspaper. She has a light to help warm her (though not a technical heat lamp; the room she is in is pretty warm already) and the food and water I just described. Immediately after putting her inside I noticed that the wheezing isn't quite as harsh and loud, and her tail isn't pointing down towards the ground anymore. I don't know whether those changes had taken place before we moved her or not, as my husband moved her inside before I saw her this morning, but I think being out of the elements can't be a bad thing.

We're hoping she makes a full recovery, but anyone with any other suggestions would be most appreciated!

Rachel

Back
Top Bottom