Wheezing chicken

tishl

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2016
I have a chicken that I noticed was sick eight days ago. Hardly could breathe Her comb was nearly purple. I started her seven days ago on tylan 50 a half ml twice a day vet rx multiple times a day and I'm using a vaporizer she is in a dog crate she's eating and drinking well and she also has laid an egg twice this week when she is out of the crate she acts normal other than having a hard time breathing at times when she overexert herself and the wheezing what else can I do?

you mention a vet rx....
did you take her to a vet?
If so what did they say was the "problem"?

I have a chicken that I noticed was sick eight days ago. Hardly could breathe Her comb was nearly purple. I started her seven days ago on tylan 50 a half ml twice a day vet rx multiple times a day and I'm using a vaporizer she is in a dog crate she's eating and drinking well and she also has laid an egg twice this week when she is out of the crate she acts normal other than having a hard time breathing at times when she overexert herself and the wheezing what else can I do?

Have you had her very long? Have there been any other chickens with respiratory infections recently. Vet Rx is herbal oils that some use similar to Vicks Vaporub. The Tylan 50 injectable is good for treating symptoms of mycoplasma (MG) and some other bacterial infections. Many respiratory infections are caused by viruses or mold fungus, and the antibiotics won't help. Most of the respiratory diseases are spread by carriers and she could be a carrier also. Does she have wtery or foamy eye, any eye or facila swelling, or nasal drainage? If her only symptoms are a dark comb and labored breathing, it might not be a respiratory disease, but a heart problem. Make sure that she is drinking fluids well.

No other symptoms other than sometimes her nose will run when I put vet rx on it. She was really bad before I started her on tylan 50. I was giving her 1/2 ml was that enough? I was just told that it should be 1 ml.

You can give 0.2ml per pound up to 0.8 ml per pound of weight 2-3 times a day, so it is pretty safe. For a 5 pound chicken I would give 1 ml at least. Smaller birds require less, heavy birds more. You can use it orally or as an injection.

Thanks...I did NOT know what vet rx was/is....I assumed it meant a vet prescription!
hide.gif

My chicken has been having similar problems. Her crown turned purple today and she was struggling for air. Now we are at the vet and she's on oxygen. Currently waiting. I hope your chicken gets better.

My chicken has been having similar problems. Her crown turned purple today and she was struggling for air. Now we are at the vet and she's on oxygen. Currently waiting. I hope your chicken gets better.

Hope everything works out for you.
Please update us.
Has the vet said what is going on yet?
hugs.gif

Thank you I hope the same for yours please let me know what your vet says

Back
Top Bottom