Wheezing Hen?

Kiwi Chicky

Songster
10 Years
Jul 18, 2009
Te Awamutu, NZ
How can I help her?
We picked her up on Tuesday and shes been wheezing since.
Shes separate from everyone else in case it's catching.

Is there anything I can do? Shes got a warm place to sleep and gets the sun in the day.

I'm not an expert on matters of chicken health. I'm just hoping to bring you back to the top of the list so someone else will see your thread.

Thank heavens you have her separated! Respiratory ailments are very bad. Make sure you tend to your other birds first, so you don't carry any germs to them.

She needs antibiotics. This assumes that her ailment is bacterial, and it may not be bacterial. I like Sulmet. Probably because I own Sulmet, and it is cheap, easy to find, and easy to administer. There are lots of other opinions out there, and they belong to people who know more about it than I do. These more knowledgeable people will need more details from you. Things like: Do you notice any swelling of her face or wattles? Is there any mucous around her nostrils? Is she sneezing? Is there any sort of bad smell around her head? Is she eating, drinking, acting normally? That sort of thing.

Good luck to you.

Edited to add: Just noticed you are in NZ. I have no idea what medications are available to you there.

Last edited:
What sort of bedding do you have?

If there is mucus, you can put some ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) to help clear it. Is she eating and drinking? I would get some electrolytes and put them in her water. Check the bedding in the coop, to make sure there is no mould growing in it, and clean thoroughly.

Sorry, I can't help more, but the only other thing I can suggest, is to use the
search function, and you'll find many articles on how to treat wheezing hens.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom