Wheezing? Making bawk sounds every breath

hugitnotnugget

Songster
6 Years
Feb 14, 2016
Upstate NY
My girl woke up with a respiratory thing. She makes sounds with every breath. Little rattling and weezing. Could she have swallowed something wrong or something stuck? I have vetrx but don’t know if I should use it or that to do. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Does she have any discharge from the eyes, nares or beak, or any plaques or lesions inside the beak/throat? Any bad smell around the beak or head, or swelling around the eyes? All of those are common respiratory symptoms. It also could be stridor, which is a partial blockage of the airway, often from a bit of feed that gets stuck. In that case it usually resolves on it's own with some time. You can look in the beak as far back as you can see to see if there is anything obvious. Stridor can also happen from swelling or mucous with a respiratory virus. There are videos of chickens with stridor if you search for them, to compare.

Does she have any discharge from the eyes, nares or beak, or any plaques or lesions inside the beak/throat? Any bad smell around the beak or head, or swelling around the eyes? All of those are common respiratory symptoms. It also could be stridor, which is a partial blockage of the airway, often from a bit of feed that gets stuck. In that case it usually resolves on it's own with some time. You can look in the beak as far back as you can see to see if there is anything obvious. Stridor can also happen from swelling or mucous with a respiratory virus. There are videos of chickens with stridor if you search for them, to compare.
Thank you for the information! No discharge, no smell. Eating and active. The only visible sign she’s not well is her color is paler than usual. I looked up stridor and she sounds very similar to the videos I listened to. Hopefully that’s all it is. It came on over night too so maybe it will clear up soon… hopefully 🤞 thank you for the information!!

You're welcome. Hopefully it resolves on it's own. I've also had birds do it in the summer when it's very hot, and then it resolves when it cools off. I've actually got a hen named 'Goose" because she does it all the time when she's too hot, honks like a goose. :) She's fine otherwise.

You're welcome. Hopefully it resolves on it's own. I've also had birds do it in the summer when it's very hot, and then it resolves when it cools off. I've actually got a hen named 'Goose" because she does it all the time when she's too hot, honks like a goose. :) She's fine otherwise.
I have a Welsummer who does this. That's the first thing I thought of when reading this thread.

Cute name! She is sounding much better! A raspy voice, but no wheezing with every breath!! ❤️❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom