Wheezing, Sneezing, Denagard, Oxine, and a Worried Sick Chickie Mom

Bugpreisler

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2018
Hello fellow chicken keepers!

As suggested, I’ve answered the below questions in regards to my disease issue. I would be so grateful to have questions, comments, concerns, and advice with my first flock and my first outbreak.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

-5 pullets 4 months old (2 speckle Sussex, Silky Bantam, Amerucana, buff orphington)

- no noticeable change in weight (showing symptoms for 2.5 days)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

- Sneezing, wheezing, coughing

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

- 2.5 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

- 3 of 5 exhibiting symptoms

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

- none

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

- lack of research into reputable supplier of replacement pullet

- poor quarantine of new pullet

- lack of biosecurity/Knowledge

- abnormally hot weather – high of 111deg at one point

- potential stress from starting to lay (just received my first egg on my birthday of all days!! – picture below for your enjoyment)

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

- prince organic grower crumble

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

- normal to occasional runny

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

- Denegard treatment solution mixed into feed –3tsp Denegard + 1 cup OJ + H20 up to 1 gallon

- Same Denegard solution in water (hardly been drinking this will give fresh plain H2O today)

- Oxine AH unactivated cool mist humidifier inside coop – 1/4cup oxine +1 Liter H20

· On the entire 2 days, the girls have access to cool mist throughout the day as they enter and exit coop.

· Full forced treatment given to all 5 pullets for 1hr/day 2 x daily

· Remains on during the night while girls are roosting

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird till you can get to a vet?

- would like to treat alone, vets in my area that treat chickens have poor ratings and have over medicated I hear.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

- See attached video

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

- pine shavings as bedding

- full access to yard and run when not sick

- access to enclosed covered run only when sick

So this is the first flock I’ve ever had and the first outbreak. Thankfully, you cant hear much of the wheezing or sneezing in the video they must be getting better. They seem to be improving I guess!

Right now the 3 chickens showing symptoms are the two Sussex and the Amerucana. The “new pullet” who was sick before (buff orphington) is showing little to no symptoms nor is the Silky bantam. Is it possible the orphington has developed an immunity to whatever this is from her first time being sick? I’m curious what this respiratory issue could be, are there any thoughts on that? Is this something I will deal with for the rest of their lives? Do you agree with my medication methods? I wanted to avoid the preventative dosage of Denegard to get as close to organic as reasonably possible, will this result in reoccurring outbreaks? The Amerucana hasn't taken well to the mash, is there something I could do to entice her into eating it? My chickens have had free range to my yard/deck. Is their sickness all over the yard now? If so, how long could it be there? Does anyone have concerns about allowing chickens free range to places people/dogs frequent?

Another HUGE concern I have is the safety and health of my 27 year old African Grey parrot (also pictured below for your pleasure). We have been practicing as best biosecurity practices to protect him as possible. Could he get sick?! He loves to eat cooked eggs, would my chickens eggs be compromised because of this outbreak?

link to thread to new pullet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-it-always-serious.1250503/#post-20062236
video of chicken symptoms:
video of oxine treatment:

Thank you so much for your help!!!
lucky.jpg
egg.jpg

showing symptoms for 2.5 days...Sneezing, wheezing, coughing

Without testing, it would be hard to know what illness they have. Where are you located?
Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma and ILT are all common. In certain parts of California, Newcastles is also on the rise. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

You have only been treating for 2.5days, give it some time to see if the medication and Oxine helps with the symptoms. Denegard is commonly used for Mycoplasma which is bacterial. If they have a viral disease like Infectious Bronchitis, antibiotics won't do anything but treat any secondary infections they may develop.

For all intents and purposes, birds that have been sick/recovered and the birds that have been exposed but show no symptoms are all considered carriers of the illness for life. You can have outbreaks during times of stress (hot/cold weather, molting, disturbances, etc.) A lot depends on your current or future chicken keeping goals - if you are planning on breeding/selling, it may be best to cull and start over. If these chickens are for your own pleasure-then keep a closed flock (no selling, giving away, trading or showing-this includes chicks/hatching eggs and adult chickens)
Contact your State Lab about what testing they will perform.

Without testing, it would be hard to know what illness they have. Where are you located?
Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma and ILT are all common. In certain parts of California, Newcastles is also on the rise. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

You have only been treating for 2.5days, give it some time to see if the medication and Oxine helps with the symptoms. Denegard is commonly used for Mycoplasma which is bacterial. If they have a viral disease like Infectious Bronchitis, antibiotics won't do anything but treat any secondary infections they may develop.

For all intents and purposes, birds that have been sick/recovered and the birds that have been exposed but show no symptoms are all considered carriers of the illness for life. You can have outbreaks during times of stress (hot/cold weather, molting, disturbances, etc.) A lot depends on your current or future chicken keeping goals - if you are planning on breeding/selling, it may be best to cull and start over. If these chickens are for your own pleasure-then keep a closed flock (no selling, giving away, trading or showing-this includes chicks/hatching eggs and adult chickens)
Contact your State Lab about what testing they will perform.
Thank you very much for your help! I'm located in Chicagoland suburbs. Ill look in to those illnesses. Will state labs perform stool samples? I don't plan to do anything but keep them for my personal use and egg consumption. But, I worry about potentially exposing my parrot to the illness, as the chickens free range the yard (and poop in) my dogs run around in. Are you aware if that is possible? An aviation Illness is an avian illness right? Is this free ranging method a bad idea?

Here's a link to the Illinois state lab - it should list what testing they perform. If you have an Avian Vet, they can also perform fecal floats.

As for exposing your Parrot to illness, do some research to see what may be transmissible. Your avian vet can also be consulted about that too. In the mean time practice strict bio-security between the chickens and the parrot - change clothes/shoes, etc. Here's a list of Common Poultry Diseases to help you get started on your research.

How are the chickens doing now?
Thanks for reaching out to me! I truly do appreciate you getting back to me! I don't know how I would raise these chickens without BYC!! I just recently posted the below on speckledhens great thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-often-mistaken-for-crd-mycoplasmosis.560301/

Thank you for this wonderful post speckled hen! I'm dealing with occasional wheezing/sneezing hens. Your percolator analogy is fitting at times. Symptoms are exhibited by some in warm weather (its been unusually humid as well). I treated with my flock of 5 with oxine and denagard. Everyone but one has seem to clear up. I thought it was the denegard that did it, so I retreated with denegard to the one hen a week later ( thinking maybe she didnt get enough meds). Her issue did not clear up even with TLC/yogurt. She has bouts of sneezing (some extremely violent I might add) and sometimes wheezing or girgling. Makes a gaping movement during a violent sneeze. Open mouth breatheing, and occasuinal runny poo. No one has ever had runny mucus, puffy face, or foul smelling breath. So I'm wondering if it is a fungal thing. Any thoughts?

I also considered something lodged somewhere but she is eating /drinking- tends to sneeze when eating or if I massage her crop.

I'll be treating her with oxine several times a day in hope's to clear things up.

I'm curious if anyone has seen a hen with a fungal infection violently sneeze?

Will unactivated oxine breating treatments treat something other than a fungal infection?

:hugs
Lots of love,
-Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom