When Buff Orpington Roosters Attack...

akcskye

Songster
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
billy.jpg

This is my handsome Buff Orpington rooster named Billy.

He has a small flock of 5 ladies, and he knows he's "The Man".

Today, for no reason, I felt Billy "jump into me" when I peeked in the hen house (none of the hens were even around).

I said "oh I hope you didn't do what I just THINK you did!" and swatted him away, and he pecked me on that hand I swatted, and then he spurred me with his spurs on the inside and outside of my left shin.

Thankfully, his spurs weren't long, as you can see in the pic, but it did draw a little blood on me.

Is my handsome young fella going to turn mean? I am so depressed, we ALL love this rooster SO MUCH.

Thanks,
Kristi

I have one just like him i wouldn't worrie to much about him turning me you may have just startled him mine has done that once in the 3 years i have had him and he never did it again.

I was visiting a lady today, looking at her birds and her BO jumped at her face when she leaned over. She was totally surprised as he had never done that before. She picked him up by the legs and held him upside down for a minute and then held him kinda cradled (right side up) before she let him down again. Don't know if he'll do it again, but she got a fat lip out of it.

Beautiful Roo! I would clip his spurs to make sure they aren't sharp. You can use wire cutters or heavy duty dog nail clippers. Just take the sharp tips off, if you cut too far it will bleed. Spurs can be very dangerous and can inflict serious injury, especially with a guy that big. To add to the danger chicken legs are usually have bits of dirt on them and can cause an infection. I clip my roos spurs from time to time to keep it safe for me and the hens.

Back
Top Bottom