When can chicks go outside full time?

Mine have access to the run whenever they want. I have the run covered in plastic to keep the rain & wind out. They are enjoying themselves. I check on them constantly when I'm home. So far, so good. They have a roost to get off the ground and the door to the coop whenever they need to be in.

I checked on them last night around 11 pm. I thought they'd be IN the coop, No they were on the perch out in the run! They made cooing & chirping & peep noises, so I let them alone. This morning they were running around and chest bumping. I believe they have all their feathers now. And they're happy! They are now going on 7 weeks old.

I am also in SE Michigan. Mine will also be 5 weeks on Wednesday. I put most of mine out this last weekend. They get no run access and I turn the heat lamp on at night. They are loving it. I was so worried the 1st night I was outside at 2:30 in the morning checking on them. Most of them weren't laying under heat lamp either. I was suprised because it was down to 38 at night. I turn the light off at about 6:30 am when the sun is coming up. The chickens that are still in the house do not have all their feathers yet. They will go out next weekend.

23535_turks_and_chicks.jpg

Mine will be 5 weeks old in about 3 days, and they spent their first night outside in the coop last night! I put their heat lamp out there, because I live in chicago, so it's still chilly here at night in may, but they seem fine! I saw them this morning and they seemed very happy!

I would have put them out sooner, but our coop wasn't finished yet. Mine started perching on the sides of their box, and then venturing out of the box and all over the house at about 3 weeks. It was adorable, but the trail of poop was not! They were definitely growing restless from being confined!

I've got four week olds out running with their daddy, Jake they're almost five weeks and they lost their momma turkey (yes chicks with a turkey). I caught them and fed them gamebird starter for several days to up weight and feather and put them back out with Daddy, they're doing great.

They probably would have been fine with Daddy but I wanted to be sure.

I have patio brooders for even two day old chicks. As long as they have some place to get warm, outdoors isn't the problem, drafts and damp are.

Quote:
yep, that's how we did it. they've been out in their chicken tractor since two weeks old, and now they're six weeks old. all 26 of them are doing great. they roam outside every day (inside the tractor), cold rain, sunshine, it matters not. they know how to take cover if they need it.

My girls are 6-9 weeks and mostly feathered with just a tiny bit of fuzz left. We are in Southern CA and our lows are in the upper 50s at night, high 70s during the day. Are my girls probably okay in their coop now? They stay in their run all day with no problem. But I have no electric source in the coop so there's no heat option there. Their pen in our garage is getting pretty crowded.

My girls are 6-9 weeks and mostly feathered with just a tiny bit of fuzz left. We are in Southern CA and our lows are in the upper 50s at night, high 70s during the day. Are my girls probably okay in their coop now? They stay in their run all day with no problem. But I have no electric source in the coop so there's no heat option there. Their pen in our garage is getting pretty crowded.
They really don't need heat once they are mostly feathered in. I've had 3 week old chicks outside without heat when the daytime high was 50*. Your's will be just fine.

Wow. I've been spoiling them. LOL! Out to the coop they go! Once I give the interior a good sweep. They've been really happy in there during the day so I'm excited for them!

Thanks for saying this. I am new to this. I have 5 week old's and 2 week olds. I think my older ones can go out. People who work at the feed stores say put them out at 2 months old, but I think they say that because it is assumed that if you already have older birds that may hurt the babies they say 2 full months is a safe time to introduce the new ones to the coop. -- that's MY guess. What I'm waiting for is for a good door to be built so our coop is not ready yet. Until then I have all my growing chicks side by side in rabbit cages. With the little ones occasionally getting the heat lamp. I don't leave the lamp on as much since it's warm out, but if I notice their feet are cold, I put it on ( and feel bad
2639.png
).... I seriously don't want to place a heat lamp in my coop. I want them to get used to cold temperatures. I'm afraid of it catching fire!

Yep, great thread, I was just wondering this as well. Most things I read say 6 weeks, but I'm assuming that is because they have no idea about your specific situation. 70 is the low here at night, with the highs in the 90s, so I think I'm going to go ahead and put my 4 week old chicks in the run. I've been experimenting with supervised outside time in the run, but they really got nervous when a surprise rain storm hit the other day. Peeping up a storm even though they weren't getting wet at all.

Back
Top Bottom