When can chicks go outside

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
Hello, I'm new here. We got a dozen chicks from a local farmer and I asked him a bunch of questions but don't want to keep calling with every little thing. Anyway, my babies are only 3 weeks old, but was wondering when can they go outside? We have them in our basement with heat lamps on and florescent light during day and turn off the florescent at night (to mimic daylight). When they do go out there is a chicken house and a very large coop. Do we still need to keep a light out there in the house?
Thanks for your advice!

Here are a few of my babies.
chicks.jpg

I would take them out for a short while as long as it is above 60 degrees or so. Start with 15 mins then wait a day, and take them out again weather permitting, for 30 mins the next day. They will let you know if they are cold, they will huddle and when I took my silkies out the first time they ran up to me after a while to go "back home"

A loongggggg time ago I had a wife that squawked alot, so I learned to
talk chicken...

So now I wait until the chicks ask to go out the I tell them I will
pick them up a 7pm

OK! I know that was really bad:th but I could not resist!
lau.gif

Move them all at one time. They are flock animals so separation is not advised. They are integrated now and the separation would break the pecking order and could cause problems when put back together.

Hi. Welcome to BYC. This is an old thread, but the question you ask is one that comes up frequently. There may be some good articles regarding brooding chicks in the learning center, or you can type any question or topic in the search bar at the top of the thread. I find that when I read through other folks threads, I get answers to questions I didn't even know I had.

Regarding brooding: you'll want to start those chicks at 90 - 95* under the brooder light, and then decrease that temp by 5* every week. You'll find that your chicks will tell you if they are cold or hot by their behavior. They'll sound stressed, and pile up under the light if they're cold, and if they're hot, they'll sprawl around away from the light, with wings spread. They may even pant. A chick demonstrating this behavior is in trouble from being over heated. Many folks find that the 90 - 95 with a 5* drop every week is really more heat than they need, and are able to drop the temp more quickly. It's also important that your brooder be big enough that those chicks can get away from the heat. They should have an area that is about 70 degrees or even less in their brooder. An other mistake that folks often make, is putting them in a brooder that is too small. Ideally, they should have at least 1 s.f./bird, by 2 - 3 weeks, and 2 s.f./bird after that. They'll be ready to move to the coop when they are fully feathered, and have been without that heat lamp for a few days. You can help them feather out faster and wean from the heat lamp by turning it off for a bit every day, and giving them a nice big brooder to play in.

This thread is a year old. I'd suggest that you take the plunge, next time, and start a new thread. It will generate a lot of response, I'm guessing. I wouldn't treat your run for mites that you have not seen. IMO, if it ain't broke, don't spend money trying to fix it. NOt to mention the damage the insecticide will do to the soil life. As far as putting your chicks in the coop, the recommendation is that when they are fully feathered, they no longer need heat. But, even so, they will need to be hardened off, just like you would need to harden plants off. Are you using a heat light, or a heating pad to brood them? Check out Blooie's thread regarding heating pad brooding. If you have means to give them a little heat in the coop, they should actually do better in the coop than they will staying in a brooder in the house. You could also make them a huddle box for the coop: simply a box with a decent sized opening for them to get in, put lots of nice bedding in it so they can cuddle there and stay warm. The sooner you get these 2 groups together, the better they'll get along. Expect some initial squabbling. But if you do it when you put both groups into the coop, the new territory should make the introduction go well. You'll just have to supervise initially. I like to give treats when introducing groups of birds. Enjoy. Do you have adult birds? If so, my response needs modification! In that case, you can still move them out, but put a fence between adults and babies. Check out Azygous "panic room" with integration portals.

Good question.
I've been taking mine outside since they were approx 3 weeks old. It has been warm.
Only, make sure your cage is covered. Don't learn from my mistake:
I put mine in a pen without a cover, I went inside to change the chicks cage paper..........and I hear the older rooster calling something fierce, I run outside to see a raven literraly ripping the head off one of my chicks! I felt horrible and sick. All the chicks were deathly affraid. I only lost 2, a third I brought back to health.
I didn't think the crows would do such a thing.

But, my chicks love going outside to theier bigger pen, they fly, search for bugs....I just wish I could keep them outside all the time like at night. They make such a mess inside the house. Soon enough it'll be warm enough and wishing for winter!

I just moved our 3 week old chicks outside, a few days ago. We've been in the 70 - 80's during the day, high 40's - 50's at night.

I fixed them an area under our post-brooder coop using the elevated area under the pb coop and two wire rabbit cages.

***Clickable thumbnails
wink.png

I have a 25 watt red light bulb in the "coop" area for them, incase they get cold. The wire cages are where I put their feeder and waterer, for easy access for me.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

smile.png
Thanks so much for all the info. To elaborate a little more, they do not need to have all their feathers is that right? Should I go ahead and use that mite killer dusting stuff in the coop and house?

Hi,
I'm new to this site too. We just became the owners of 13 laying hens...all kinds! They are doing wonderfully in their new home. We intend to get a few more chicks to add to the flock. I too would like to know when the chicks can be introduced and put outside with new sisters?
Chris:)
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom