When can I leave my chicks on their own??

Danny1234

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
I have four chicks, 2 roos and 2 hens who are about nine weeks old. Many cats from neighbouring houses have been trying (but failing) to have a nibble at the chickens. They're starting to lose interest and am wondering when (if ever) can I leave my chickens in the garden without supervision to scare off cats?

BTW- We never really get other types of predators (just one encounter with a fox when they were a week old)

Hi there! You should wait to leave your chickens alone until the cats have stopped coming around. As for the fox, make sure to keep an eye out because foxes will come back. You may not see him, but he may see you. He is just waiting for the right moment to strike. I have lost a few chickens to foxes, and it is a big put down!

we you should wait till the chickens are larger size for sure. but cats will
pop in from time to time they will not stop commig all together

Just my two cents which may not be worth much where you're from... But cats and dogs are protective of their buddies. If you can get close to them and make them part of the flock you can have genuine protectors. Yeah you might find dead mice and stuff around your coop but that's cause the cats are trying to feed them. Toss em in the coop n let the chickens have fun.

Back
Top Bottom