When can I let my babies have some outside time?

Could you send that nice weather across the border?

Brooding hen or brooder? I'm assuming a brooder.

They should be fine , but only for a while. If they start to huddle together they want their warmth back.

I still have my 9 days olds inside. I also have 16 days olds and just let them outside today for the first time. We are in mid 60's today. They lasted about 30 min's then started gathering together, so I brought them inside right away. Just keep a close eye on them, they probably wont be warm out there for to long. I would also worry about stressing them out a bit to much since they are so young. But then again im a begginner too, so I could be wrong..lol.. just my opinion :)

I personally would wait until they are at least 2 weeks and temps are 70+.. I know that chicks raised by a broody hen would be out and about before that, but it seems like by two weeks they are less fragile and ready to explore.

in missouri it is 80 right now and i have 1 1/2 week olds. would it be ok for them to run around in a chicken wire pen? if i keep on them.

Thanks everyone.

I just checked and it is 75 and sunny right now.
I will build a little fenced area in the garden and see how tomorrow goes.
My back yard is sheltered from the wind and is usually sunny in the afternoon.
I want them to get outdoor experience.
I will really keep my eyes on them and harden them off a little at a time, just like my seedlings.

Have a great Day everyone.
(I hate to be selfish; I am keeping the nice weather as long as possible. You are always welcome to visit!)

Back
Top Bottom