when can i tell if my chick is a rooster or a hen..

I figured there were a million places I could post this, but I get so frustrated trying to find my way around forums, being new on this one makes it even more hard.

I figured we had a ton of Roos. Time to look for a new home :)

Thanks !!!

I have two chicks about 6 weeks old. One is a barred rock and the other is a rhode island red. I am assuming they will be roosters, because I have noticed
their combs and wattles to be growing quickly and they started to "chest bump" each other. They seem to get along fine right now, but is there any other signs to look for
that will confirm the possibility of them being roosters? I have noticed the barred rock looks lighter in color, more white than black.

I have two chicks about 6 weeks old. One is a barred rock and the other is a rhode island red. I am assuming they will be roosters, because I have noticed
their combs and wattles to be growing quickly and they started to "chest bump" each other. They seem to get along fine right now, but is there any other signs to look for
that will confirm the possibility of them being roosters? I have noticed the barred rock looks lighter in color, more white than black.

welcome-byc.gif

Best thing to do is to get some good photos and start a thread in the "what breed or gender" section. Be sure to state the age of the birds there.

The lighter colored barred bird is pretty much a hallmark of a rooster. At this age, any comb or redness to the comb or wattles is a male. Chest bumping doesn't really mean anything, pullets do that also. Pullets also have spur nubs, so that doesn't help.

I look at the feathers around the neck of #3. See how they are long and skinny? Compare that to the other chickens you have. They have shorter feathers around their necks. I am betting my penny that you have a little roo. Time will tell watch the wattles and the comb. It is harder to tell when they are teeny boppers. Roosters wattles and combs will become very vibrant red much earlier than the pullets. The comb will get more pronounced too and before long you will hear a wierd sound which is an early crow.

Just my humble opinion
Caroline

I look at the feathers around the neck of #3. See how they are long and skinny? Compare that to the other chickens you have. They have shorter feathers around their necks. I am betting my penny that you have a little roo. Time will tell watch the wattles and the comb. It is harder to tell when they are teeny boppers. Roosters wattles and combs will become very vibrant red much earlier than the pullets. The comb will get more pronounced too and before long you will hear a wierd sound which is an early crow.

Just my humble opinion
Caroline

When will the comb and wattle start growing in?

Back
Top Bottom