When can my chicks move into the coop?

MamaB

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Hello!

I am new to raising chickens! I have two 2 1/2 week old pekin ducklings three 3 1/2 week old chicks (Americanas, Red Stars, and Silver Laced Wyandottes..I think!) and two 4 1/2 week old Red Stars totaling 14 babies. I have been brooding them all outside in a brooding box in the coop with two heat lamps making sure the temp is nice and warm. I have weened them down to a temp of 65-70 degrees (some nights though the temp in the brooder did go down to the upper 50s with no issue from the girls). I was wondering when is a good time to let them out of the brooding box and into the coop?
We have had some really nice days here in MA so I let them outside for the day when the temp was in the low 80s. The had such a good time with plenty of room to spread out and run around...(sure was fun chasing all 14 to get them back inside though!) Seems mean to have let them enjoy some freedom and then to stick them back into small box (It's about 3x4 and 3 1/2 feet tall) Besides the ducklings are huge now! Everyone gets along great, but I am looking forward to letting them into the coop. Next week maybe?
Thank you for all your help.

The 4 1/2 week red stars are good to go outside. the ducks i would say no not yet. i put my chicks out at 3-4 weeks it makes them stronger that way. I had muscovy ducks i didnt put them out till about 6 weeks. The typical rule of thumb is when they are fully feathered on their bodies they are good to go outside. and you will notice at first they will all get into a chick pile but its not cuz they are cold they just feel safe that way. I have been dealing with alot of babies i have 5 month olds, 2 month olds and i just put my 4 week old welsummers outside.

Back
Top Bottom