When did your Black Australorps start to lay?

BasicallyHeather

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Lowellville, Ohio
My four BAs are just over 18 weeks, and two of them have been acting like they are getting close (grooming the roo, hanging around in the nest box, singing an egg song). I can't take the wait! It doesn't seem like there are many BA owners on here, so I will just come out and ask: how old were your BAs when they first laid?
smile.png

My BAs are 26 weeks and just started singing eggs songs a week ago. No eggs yet though! We had a freak temperature drop of 20 degrees because of a storm, but it's heating back up. They started singing the egg songs again so hopefully any day now
smile.png

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
my ba's started laying around 30 weeks,you got a ways to go.take deep breaths.lol That record the black australorp set in 1920 is not the same bird of today,trust me! they are over-rated Imo. I GOT ONE RIGHT NOW THAT HAS NOT LAYED AN EGG SINCE LATE JUNE. hope u have better luck than i

Mine were 24 and 26 weeks. One layed every day straight for the first week and then took the entire next week off....... She now lays a very small egg every 2nd or 3rd day. The other girl lays on average, every second day, and more often than not lays a giant double yoker! Both are now about 30wks old, so early days yet.

I hope you get some eggs soon
big_smile.png

mine started last week, they are 29 weeks old. It is mid spring here. they seem to be quite weird tho, I have two whom I cannot tell apart as they are identical, so I have finally given up waiting on a distinguishing feature on either of them and just named them both Sheila and Sheila!, neither of them squat, or announce their achievement afterwards, and i have had the greatest trouble getting them to use the nestboxes. Yesterday I found one of their eggs on the lawn.. completely out in the open not hidden, they have also laid off the perch and in other funny places, once last week I caught one inside my house looking for a spot to lay, and finally managed to grab her later when she had hunkered down in the outside laundry to do it. We just got a new coop on Friday so they have had 2 nights in it and I have kept them shut in till lunchtime both days, but they still have not figured out the new nests like the other chooks have. Today I spent the afternoon digging over the vege garden, finally they decided to be my best friends! talk about cupboard love! I could barely get my fork in for them crowing around hoping for worms. They had a feast of big fat earthworms so I am expecting extra good eggs tomorrow!

I have 2 that started laying at about 25 weeks. They lay very well when they are not broody. They just turned a year old in the end of july. One of mine has been broody twice this year she is currently with 10 babies

Update! The girls are 23 weeks now, and still not an egg from any of them. I am trying to be patient, as I love the gals so... the fewer hours of daylight and cooler weather doesn't help, I suppose. Sigh. *sings* Somedaaaaay my egggggs will cooooome...!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom