when do ameraucanas get their beards (if they are going to get one?)

wahmommy

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2010
I have an almost 4 week old Ameraucana that doesn't seem to have a beard yet... does that mean she won't have one? She isn't fully feathered out on her head yet, but her breast feathers are coming in...

My EE did not show up fully until it was about 8 wks or so, although it did have the small patches as a chick.

Last edited:
Mine had them when they hatched, really noticeable too.
smile.png

As others have said, they hatch with puffy cheeks. Mine had cheeks so big they almost covered their eyes! The beards seem to come later. Mine didn't become really noticeable until they were about 10 or 12 weeks old, I think. Cotton and her lovely cheeks and beard. :D

Okay here she is at birth. And another two weeks ago and a photo of her yesterday.. so will she be a beardless ameraucana then? Or what? (and I'm working on correcting her feet)

and yes I know there is no such thing as a beardless ameraucana
sad.png

between her crooked feet and this beard thing, I'm getting despondent. Can someone please weigh in on whether or not she will have muffs and beard? I bought the eggs from a reputable breeder.

She wont have a beard, where did you get her?
and yes I know there is no such thing as a beardless ameraucana
sad.png

between her crooked feet and this beard thing, I'm getting despondent. Can someone please weigh in on whether or not she will have muffs and beard? I bought the eggs from a reputable breeder.

Back
Top Bottom