When do Buff Orpingtons start laying?

Our BO started laying last week and suddenly stopped. We keep finding her nesting and making strange noises, but no eggs! Should I be worried? What should I look for if this is abnormal?

Our BO started laying last week and suddenly stopped. We keep finding her nesting and making strange noises, but no eggs! Should I be worried? What should I look for if this is abnormal?

This is normal for the orpington breed, especially at the beginning. They are not a factory hen so not bred to lay seven days a week every week. I have lavender orpingtons just starting to lay and they are off and on. Also the heat the cold and amount of sunlight in a day can effect them. Even a cloudy week can effect them!

Usually normal. But make sure they have plenty of calcium around if they need it to prevent egg bound issues. Like oyster shell. Also if your hen continues to sit in her box yet doesnt lay... That can be a red flag that she is not well or/and egg bound. :)

Thank you! She did lay again, but most of her eggs are very large and have two yolks! Kinda crazy, no? I'm so new to this, even just getting any eggs at all is exciting/new/crazy to me. :)

Last week, my Buff Orpington, Buffy, was the first of my 4 pullets to lay an egg, at age 18 weeks. And as far as I can tell, she is the one who has laid an egg every day for the past week. (The other 3 are a RIR, a SL Wyandotte, a Bl. Australorp. All were hatched on the same day, I went and got them at the hatchery.) Buffy is the only one I've seen in the nest box and the only one singing the egg song. It is possible someone else laid a couple of the eggs as there were two days that we weren't home when the egg was laid. Here is a photo of #6 and #7. They have all looked like this, possibly they are getting slightly larger. I thought that this breed was not known as a daily layer, and I just picked one because of their beauty, so I'd have a colorful little flock.We are very proud of our 'Lady Buffington,' and enjoying our first eggs immensely!

one of my chickens just layed our first egg
1f60a.png
. It was either a barred Plymouth Rock or a Orpington... They are 18 weeks and 5 days. We have only fed them organic feed.

My Buff Orpington, Marigold, just start laying at 4 days before she turned 20 weeks old. She is the first of my four to start laying. Today is the 20 week mark and My Black Australorps haven't started yet and neither has my Barred Rock. But I love them all the same!

My Buff is 30 weeks old. Her face and comb are still pink, not red. She shows no interest in the nesting boxes. She is not squatting. She is the last of my 8 breeds to lay. The leghorn was first at 19 weeks.

I think mine wins the cake... my chocolate orp is 29 weeks and still not laying! I'm so frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom